SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

BlurXterminator help

I tried the trial of BlurXterminator a while ago and was impressed, recently shelled out for it and trying it now I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I only seem to be able to achieve star reduction. 

Here, forgot to stretch them, can do that if anyone wants stretched versions. 

blur.thumb.jpg.2e7a7827b3819a7d6cb1d76b8631a550.jpgBefore.thumb.jpg.ae9b21d1e5cc928c2dc4e5991f1c2d9a.jpg

After.thumb.jpg.9c04ac19e7b5f3567e447d2552608acb.jpg

• Like 1

Not used this too much but certainly seems that depending on the target you do need to manually set the PSf to get the best out of it. I think some targets do get good results using the auto PSF whilst others do not see much difference apart from star reduction (and not enough experience to say which work well and which don't but seem to be getting a feeling that galaxies work well and maybe some nebulas with a lot of bright filamentary stuff, but this may just be luck that the Auto PSF worked due to actual star sizes and not the actual structure of the DSO / Galaxy, so cannot say this with confidence). So really all I would suggest is same as @Stuart1971 that to be on the safe side just check the PSF first and then enter that manually rather than leaving the quto PSF checked.

Also remember that contrary to some people beliefs this tool does not add things to the image that isn't there already so some targets will get much more out of this tool than others that may not change much at all and pushing it too far will leave artifacts that are not desirable so can only do so much with it.

Steve

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Not used this too much but certainly seems that depending on the target you do need to manually set the PSf to get the best out of it. I think some targets do get good results using the auto PSF whilst others do not see much difference apart from star reduction (and not enough experience to say which work well and which don't but seem to be getting a feeling that galaxies work well and maybe some nebulas with a lot of bright filamentary stuff, but this may just be luck that the Auto PSF worked due to actual star sizes and not the actual structure of the DSO / Galaxy, so cannot say this with confidence). So really all I would suggest is same as @Stuart1971 that to be on the safe side just check the PSF first and then enter that manually rather than leaving the quto PSF checked.

Also remember that contrary to some people beliefs this tool does not add things to the image that isn't there already so some targets will get much more out of this tool than others that may not change much at all and pushing it too far will leave artifacts that are not desirable so can only do so much with it.

Steve

I will echo this, it does work differently of different data sets, I get a huge increase in detail on some data sets, and barely any in others, but the one thing that is constant is the star reduction and star shape correction, the sharpness is very dependant on the data….👍🏻

• Like 2