SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Why are adverts closed so I can't leave feedback?

Trevor Matthews

I just wanted to thank the two members who quickly posted out the items I purchased from them recently, I am sure they know who they are.

I am very happy with the speed of delivery and the quality of the equipment.

But why close adverts so quickly? I had no chance to thank them and leave feedback, surely critical to the the forum and future sales from those members???

regards

Trevoe

Just my two pennorth on this one.

I regard SGL as primarily a discussion and help forum. The buy/sell is a minor part.
I don't think we need feedback.

Before I buy something from a member, I take a look at their history.
11 scopes, 4 cameras and 6 mounts for sale in 6 weeks and a genuine reason for sale?
Posts last year talking about using the scope that is now on sale?
Is the seller a helpful forum contributor or mainly selling items?
I think you get my drift.

If I meet up to buy, we invariably have good chat. It is good to meet up face to face.
Only one meet up didn't work as planned. The seller was quarantining for health reasons. I bought the kit from his back garden with him looking through the window!
This was of course followed up with a long phone call before I set off for home.
If it is a posted item, I always respond with a safe arrival & thanks message.

By researching before buying, we avoid worries. For example last year I bought an item from a member here and it didn't arrive.
The seller had sent an image of the Post Office paperwork, so I was not worried.
In addition, the seller had a long history on SGL and I had bought from him before. No worries.
The seller was clearly bothered about non delivery and offered immediate refund. Given the history, I said wait.
I remained relaxed about things.
About 3 weeks later the parcel arrived. No apology from Postman Pat, nothing to indicate it had shipped via the Outer Mongolia sorting office.

Working the other way, I sold something to a long standing SGL member. I posted it and told him to send the money once he was happy with the item.
Yes the cheque did arrive in the post👍

My SGL buy and sell experience has always been postive in terms of the item quality, honesty about defects and limitations, etc.
I have got to meet a lot of really nice people face to face, which makes future phone or PM interactions about items so much easier.
The nearest to a negative has been a small (actually tiny) number of people who could have packed a bit better to survive the rigours of a UK carrier. But nothing serious has happened.

I'm not convinced buying via SGL has saved me money. In reality I have spent the same money as new, but met nice people and obtained much more equipment😁

Long may this continue.

David.

• Like 2