Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The joy of tracking

Paz

I mostly observe dsos these days with a ed102r and skytee 2  mount or a VX14 and dobsonian base, finding things manually and tracking manually. I only use an EQ5 on occasion for solar/lunar/planets to benefit from tracking due to the higher magnifications and these things being in the fastest part of the sky.

However last night I set up the EQ5 and ed102r for some dsos for the first time in a while. It is more of a faff even though I just plonk the tripod down pointing roughly north and the altitude is pre-set near enough and doesn't get checked, but it is plenty good enough for tracking.

Once at the eyepiece it is so much easier, I had forgotten the joy of changing eyepieces and it not being a race against time, being able to have a break and come back to see the target still there, and most of all, being able to sit and observe a target without the constant distraction of nudging or twiddling slow motion controls etc.

I observed Stock 2 with a 17.3mm Delos and stayed on it for ages, it was just an even sprinkling of cold points of light frozen across the eyepiece and after a while I start to get the floating-in-space feeling alternating with the floating-in-a swimming pool feeling that I don't get so much when the view is moving. A super-pretty and under rated star cluster I have always thought.

I moved over to the double cluster and although both clusters were in the field of view I was fpocused on that little ring in the middle of NGC869 and spent a long time on this also.

A great session, only 2/3 objects observed and only one eyepiece used but that's often how my sessions go and very enjoyable. I am sure that on balance I'll still do more alt/az session than equatorial sessions for dsos but the EQ5 is going to be seeing more action than it has of late.

20230224_210047.thumb.jpg.2fa8ddadeb8d59bb5e08ddaf40828fb1.jpg

• Like 12

Interesting thought, I have a Vixen GP which is manual but I do have the one RA motor which I can engage when needed but even then I only use it when imaging planets. On my Alt AZ mount which I have my 102 mounted, I made a handle which I can extend if needed so when looking in the eyepiece I can move the handle ever so slightly while viewing, keeping the object steady and entered. It is actually easier than reaching for my RA knob on my Vixen, One would think the EQ mount would be easier than the alt Az to use when not tracking but a well thought out alt-az mount can be a godsend, especially when viewing position is considered.

• Like 1

I have only ever used push to mounts, Discmounts DM6 and DM4, and find they satisfy my desire to keep it simple, unautomated. But I can understand the relief at having the time to relax and let the mount track for you. More time to study an object, to scrutinise every last detail at your leisure. The EQ5 is a mount I have often looked at but never got around to purchasing. Could be time to look again, it's nice to lock onto a target and just get lost in space, as you appear to be doing 😎

• Like 2

Last time I did this I imaged comet E3 ZTF for around an hour and due to the precise tracking of my gem28, the starfield hardly moved from start to finish.

Before that i imaged the sun with my Coronado pst and azgti in alt az linked to skysafari, tracked for over and hour and the sun was still there.

It's great when it works, not so much when it doesn't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Interesting thought, I have a Vixen GP which is manual but I do have the one RA motor which I can engage when needed but even then I only use it when imaging planets. On my Alt AZ mount which I have my 102 mounted, I made a handle which I can extend if needed so when looking in the eyepiece I can move the handle ever so slightly while viewing, keeping the object steady and entered. It is actually easier than reaching for my RA knob on my Vixen, One would think the EQ mount would be easier than the alt Az to use when not tracking but a well thought out alt-az mount can be a godsend, especially when viewing position is considered.

An extended handle sounds good, is that like the  az4 design that moves with the scope and stays in the same relative place? Sometimes I end up is some contorted positions trying to have an eye at the eyepiece and moving the slow motion controls, I swapped out all the extended slow motion controls on my mounts for stubby ones just to make my kit easier to set up and take down as I can leave them on all the time, but sometimes it is a stretch to get to them.

13 minutes ago, Paz said:

I swapped out all the extended slow motion controls on my mounts for stubby ones

I’ve never got that, I must say. I have long slo mos on my mounts as I find it much more comfortable than having to stretch up to the mount.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Elp said:

Last time I did this I imaged comet E3 ZTF for around an hour and due to the precise tracking of my gem28, the starfield hardly moved from start to finish.

Before that i imaged the sun with my Coronado pst and azgti in alt az linked to skysafari, tracked for over and hour and the sun was still there.

It's great when it works, not so much when it doesn't.

I've thought now and again about getting a computer controlled alt az scope for the best of both worlds, I.e. simplicity when you want it and tracking when you want it but I've gotten used to my gear and try to bury such thoughts!

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’ve never got that, I must say. I have long slo mos on my mounts as I find it much more comfortable than having to stretch up to the mount.

That’s the point of the handle I made, it comes out parallel to the OTA then does a 30 degree bend downwards and I can add an 8” extension which allows for me to keep my elbows on my knees while looking into the eyepiece and fingers on handle. It makes for a very steady and micro smooth adjustments, I can follow a planet at very high mag on both axis and keep it dead center as through the scope was tracking. My hands never need to be reaching.

On the end of the handle I can add an 8” extension depending on viewing position just by clicking it in the end of the handle which allows me to lean over in while sitting with my elbows resting on my knees, I can very precisely move the mount on both axis at a time smoother than the knobs on my vixen which I must move one axis at a time. This handle combined with the friction adjustments on the mount allow for tracking like motion.

83D7DEE0-8169-4B4C-9D18-F365CD9D8A73.jpeg

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

That’s the point of the handle I made, it comes out parallel to the OTA then does a 30 degree bend downwards and I can add an 8” extension which allows for me to keep my elbows on my knees while looking into the eyepiece and fingers on handle. It makes for a very steady and micro smooth adjustments, I can follow a planet at very high mag on both axis and keep it dead center as through the scope was tracking. My hands never need to be reaching.

On the end of the handle I can add an 8” extension depending on viewing position just by clicking it in the end of the handle which allows me to lean over in while sitting with my elbows resting on my knees, I can very precisely move the mount on both axis at a time smoother than the knobs on my vixen which I must move one axis at a time. This handle combined with the friction adjustments on the mount allow for tracking like motion.

83D7DEE0-8169-4B4C-9D18-F365CD9D8A73.jpeg

Yes, for a manual alt az that works well; I’ve got something similar on the AZ75 and it allows for very fine control of the position.

I more thought we were referring to slo motions on EQ mounts. The little short knobs mean you need to reach forward towards the mount which must be less comfortable than having long slo mos within east reach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I agree once at the eyepiece longer controls are easier to reach but how I store my mounts would mean put them on and taking them off every session so I prefer to trade off a bit of benefit in use for a bit of benefit in set up time.