SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Why is The Lambda Orionis Cluster called Aunt Margaret's Mirror?

Agerskov

Hi astrohistorians

I have just sketched The Lambda Orionis Cluster Cr 69 and read that it is also called Aunt Margaret's Mirror. 

I think it is linked to the short story "My Aunt Margaret's Mirror" written by Sir Walter Scott - but how?

Or is it another aunt Margaret? 

Thanks in advance.

20230211_2153ut_lambda_orionishoben_cr69.jpg

• Like 2

I think you're right! 🙂 https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1667/1667-h/1667-h.htm

But, without going deeper into the mysteries of the dressing-table, I will tell you that I myself, like many other honest folks, do not like to see the blank, black front of a large mirror in a room dimly lighted, and where the reflection of the candle seems rather to lose itself in the deep obscurity of the glass than to be reflected back again into the apartment, That space of inky darkness seems to be a field for Fancy to play her revels in. She may call up other features to meet us, instead of the reflection of our own; or, as in the spells of Hallowe’en, which we learned in childhood, some unknown form may be seen peeping over our shoulder. In short, when I am in a ghost-seeing humour, I make my handmaiden draw the green curtains over the mirror before I go into the room, so that she may have the first shock of the apparition, if there be any to be seen...

From above (and later) the allusion is to a "Magic" (Black) Mirror used for Scrying? 😁
Such things were made from Obsidian... pr plain glass, placed on a dark substrate...
OR, an ordinary mirror, at low (candle lit) illumination? Skulls, candles...  The Occult! 😉

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Keepsake_Stories

Who knows?!? It resembles the (somewhat ghostly?) appearance of Lambda Ori. ? 😵

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 1

Early morning P.S. 😴

There is discussion re. what actually constititutes CR69? But it is generally
held to be *based* around the three fainter stars, aligned vertically, above?

I now find (not uncharacteristically!) Stephen O'meara discusses the above
idea, in his "Hidden Treasures" Book --- He designates Cr69 as "HT29". 🙂

He concludes: "The oval shape of the dim stars that form an elipse
around the bright stars of Orion's Head is eerily like seeing the profile
of a face in an Oval Mirror. Dare you look"? --- Uhm... Muahaha? 😱

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Macavity said:

He concludes: "The oval shape of the dim stars that form an elipse
around the bright stars of Orion's Head is eerily like seeing the profile
of a face in an Oval Mirror. Dare you look"? --- Uhm... Muahaha? 😱

Which dim stars form an elipse around the bright stars of Orion's head?

The elipse could be HD 37171 on top and HD 37320 at the bottom, right side HD 37542, HD 37522 and HD 37478, and left side HD 36914 (V376), the Collinder 69 (Phi¹ Orionis, HD 36895, HD 245203, HD 36894 og Lambda Orionis), HD 36881 og HD 36913.

And the bright stars Phi² Orionis and HD 37232.

Or is it another elipse and other main stars?

20230226_cr69_tante_margarets_spejl.png

I abstain on this! lol. It's an interesting question though? For some reason, I don't
"populate" the skies with mythological stuff... though I might *know* about it? 😉

Wish I had TIME to read the writings of O'Meara, Walter Scott... Anyone?!? lol. 😁

Edited by Macavity

5 hours ago, Macavity said:

Wish I had TIME to read the writings of O'Meara, Walter Scott... Anyone?!? lol. 😁

In the final paragraph on page 149 of, "Deep-Sky Companions Hidden Treasures" he goes on to say that it was the narrator in, "My Aunt Margaret's Mirror" who was commentating on his Aunt's superstitious tendencies. She avoids looking into a mirror when alone in her chamber for an evening. I would not blame or make fun of her.  The black space in a mirror in a dimly lit room is a perfect analogy to making out the emission nebula clouding Orion's head encompassing Cr69, "And amidst such shadowy and doubtful light...imagination frames her enchanted and enchanting visions, and sometimes passes them upon the senses for reality."

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Macavity said:

In one of his novels, the incomparable Mark Twain mentions the wreck of a great, flat-bottomed paddle boat, beached, helpless and forgotten, on a sand bar in the Mississippi. I can imagine the smile on his face as he composed its name - the Walter Scott...

:Dlly

Edited by ollypenrice
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1