Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What hard drive are you using for processing

39 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

14 hours still seems like an awfully long time. but I don't use DSS so maybe that's the right amount of time. 

You have a look at the read and write times of the Nvme vs HDD and the differentials then the time taken becomes a little easier to take in. 

Anyway, like I said I switched back to the nvme drive for processing and may add another yet. 

2 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

You have a look at the read and write times of the Nvme vs HDD and the differentials then the time taken becomes a little easier to take in. 

Anyway, like I said I switched back to the nvme drive for processing and may add another yet. 

I'm kinda comparing to my setup where I'm using a 15yr old NAS with spinning drives over WiFi and still not getting anything like those times. 

12 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I'm kinda comparing to my setup where I'm using a 15yr old NAS with spinning drives over WiFi and still not getting anything like those times. 

You have got me thinking now!

I'll set it going again tonight before I go to bed and see if it replicates overnight. It should otherwise there could be something awry.

2 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

You have got me thinking now!

I'll set it going again tonight before I go to bed and see if it replicates overnight. It should otherwise there could be something awry.

I could be wrong but I think your RAM is probably your bottleneck. I've got 64gb, would have had more but I built a nice little mITX box. 

1 minute ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I could be wrong but I think your RAM is probably your bottleneck. I've got 64gb, would have had more but I built a nice little mITX box. 

I have checked the how performance and ram was only up to about 14GB used and according to the AMD website, the latency is faster than the processor (at least that's what I think it means). Anyway, unlikely to be memory. The HDD was running at 100%!

5 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

That really depends. Different software is written in different way.

One software might optimize read performance and avoid saving intermediate files to the disk. Other software will do a large random read of small chunks and write intermediate files to the disk.

There could be few orders of magnitude difference in speed of software on a spinning disk because of this. HDDs do suffer from small random read/write performance as each operation involves seek of position by the head. Larger the drive - more so. It also depends if disk is empty or full - or rather on which part of platter data is being stored. Outer parts require much larger head seek travel and hence have larger latency that adds up on bunch of small reads/writes.

1 hour ago, malc-c said:

Have you seen that a batch of 2TB 980 Pro drives have issues 

No, I haven't, thanks for the heads up!

I think I'm safe though?

image.png.347e8bb19c8c438eef2e3189c6b17998.png

It would be very inconvenient since it is my boot/os drive.

Ok further to my previous posts I did some updating to the PC with day to day, imaging and gaming (yes still even at my age) in mind.

I did obtain a NVME drive (1GB) to use primarily for processing and storing critical data (I now have three different drives for the latter) and also upgraded my processor from the Ryzen 5 2600 to the Ryzen 7 5800X.

I have moved stuff around to hopefully make the best of the added drive and so far seems ok. Tested drive speeds and bearing in mind I am on 4th Gen not 5th, I am very happy with speeds obtained which rival any shown on here from same gen.

The new processor though has speeded everything up dramatically. Programmes launch so much quicker and in general things are much more snappy, very pleased.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2023 at 11:58, bomberbaz said:

Ok further to my previous posts I did some updating to the PC with day to day, imaging and gaming (yes still even at my age) in mind.

I did obtain a NVME drive (1GB) to use primarily for processing and storing critical data (I now have three different drives for the latter) and also upgraded my processor from the Ryzen 5 2600 to the Ryzen 7 5800X.

I have moved stuff around to hopefully make the best of the added drive and so far seems ok. Tested drive speeds and bearing in mind I am on 4th Gen not 5th, I am very happy with speeds obtained which rival any shown on here from same gen.

The new processor though has speeded everything up dramatically. Programmes launch so much quicker and in general things are much more snappy, very pleased.

Good to hear the upgrading went well for you. I always worry that the system will no longer boot whenever I start swapping components!

Just a quick tip when benchmarking using Crystal Disk Mark - something every one here seems to have missed, including myself, and I only just found out about it - there is an SSD mode!

Here's the same drive which I posted the benchmark for earlier, but with SSD mode enabled:

CD-Ddrive_ppc23_02.jpg.61406e1e3a5061f40c69a445fc4df9c3.jpg

10 hours ago, Leo S said:

Just a quick tip when benchmarking using Crystal Disk Mark - something every one here seems to have missed, including myself, and I only just found out about it - there is an SSD mode!

Made a slight difference

Untitled.png.c2066746133c38894f38e318c91bd7fe.png