SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

90mm SV/Baader Coolwedge

jetstream

I'm currently doing a scope reorg and I thought Id put the 90mm Raptor under the sun to see if the views through it were still as I recalled. And yes they were excellent!

Using the 25mm TV plossl fine granulation popped out and there are a lot of spots currently. Just loved the big one with the "Question mark"  shaped formation of spots above it. Faculae and plage near the rim were very evident. The 18mm Tak ortho gave finer detail on the spots but the Tak 12.5mm ortho was just a bit too much today, with transient moments giving great views.

I had to wait for the sun to move, out of the way of the pines, so it was a bit low and late in the day for optimum viewing. Regardless the 90mm performed flawlessly in -17c with the sun flowing through it.

Kinda makes me wonder why Im going to sell it. Maybe.

Gerry

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Very handy scope to have around Gerry, you know you want to keep it really 😉.

Have you tried binoviewing through the wedge? If you can reach focus the results can be fantastic.

Great idea! No I havnt actually, going to fix it soon 👍

Yeah it is handy and not so expensive that I have to worry about it lol Its sitting outside ready for the moon, of course the clouds are in. It is a very sharp scope.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Alan White said:

Sounds like an old friend that should stay around to me.

This scope has been on hundreds of dark sky trips, shown me IC434 no filter before I knew what it was and last night on the moon took 262x with no breakdown in sight, thats 75x aperture. Thats using a Vixen 2.4 HR. I have VIP barlowed it- not sure of mag but I think 393X... yeah no kidding. 112x aperture 😳

All this from Vics Chinese lensed scope, selected through star testing years ago. 10 yrs ago.

I can only imagine how good they are now, which is at the top IMHO.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Captain Scarlet said:

No I think Gerry you should get rid of the SV, then there’ll be no use for such a short-FL eyepiece as the 2.4 Vixen HR. In which case as a special favour I’ll take it off you. I’ll send you my address 😉

🤣

I should have bought the 1.6mm too , this was a tragic mistake. These are, among other things my test eyepieces, eclipsing others and the others are very good. I have the 3.4mm too, man are these things good, zero scatter added. I test my fracs straight through with these. The Zeiss prism doesnt add scatter to my eyes either.

• Like 2