Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher EQM-35 or Bresser EXOS-2 GoTo ?

31 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Why not the EQ5?

Cant say about the Exos-2 but you definitely dont want the EQM35.

I got some offers for those 2 mounts, that's why I ignored the eq-5. But now I am thinking about the EQ-5 too, why would it be better than the others?

8 minutes ago, Andrei Citi said:

I got some offers for those 2 mounts, that's why I ignored the eq-5. But now I am thinking about the EQ-5 too, why would it be better than the others?

The EQM35 is an EQ3 in disguise, it has no bearings on either of the axis and so is pretty much unservivable junk that will not work properly. Both of the axis are supported by plastic shims and lubricant and thats it, backlash and wobble a plenty!

The EQ5 actually does have bearings and is generally much more robustly made and so shouldnt be compared to the EQ3 and 35. Also very similar price and weight to the EQM35, so there are hardly any reasons to get the 35 instead of the 5.

On the Exos, sorry, cant say as dont know too much about it. Used to have an EQM35 and can safely say its not the mount you are looking for, nothing but regret in my mind as i think about that purchase.

Just now, ONIKKINEN said:

The EQM35 is an EQ3 in disguise, it has no bearings on either of the axis and so is pretty much unservivable junk that will not work properly. Both of the axis are supported by plastic shims and lubricant and thats it, backlash and wobble a plenty!

The EQ5 actually does have bearings and is generally much more robustly made and so shouldnt be compared to the EQ3 and 35. Also very similar price and weight to the EQM35, so there are hardly any reasons to get the 35 instead of the 5.

On the Exos, sorry, cant say as dont know too much about it. Used to have an EQM35 and can safely say its not the mount you are looking for, nothing but regret in my mind as i think about that purchase.

Thank you very much for your help! Probably you just saved me from a bad experience and a waste of money!

Hi @Andrei Citi and welcome to SGL. :hello2:
I used to mount my ‘re-modded’ ETX105 on a Vixen GP. [image below].

PIC021.JPG.317e3ab5bc2a32848d576782c9caf3ab.JPG

I regret selling the mount as it was the most silky smooth and intuitive equatorial mount I have used to date. I am now in the alt-az and ‘more than one ‘scope’ camp and use either a AOK-AYO or Tele-Optic Giro.

1 hour ago, Philip R said:

Hi @Andrei Citi and welcome to SGL. :hello2:
I used to mount my ‘re-modded’ ETX105 on a Vixen GP. [image below].

PIC021.JPG.317e3ab5bc2a32848d576782c9caf3ab.JPG

I regret selling the mount as it was the most silky smooth and intuitive equatorial mount I have used to date. I am now in the alt-az and ‘more than one ‘scope’ camp and use either a AOK-AYO or Tele-Optic Giro.

Hi! Wow, that mount looks nice, wish you clear skies!

• Thanks 1