Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NINA - 4tronix - ASCOM ???

Skipper Billy

Help! I am trying to get NINA to connect to a 4Tronix focuser. The software that comes with the focuser (allegedly!) contains an ASCOM driver so I believe NINA should be able to connect to it. I cannt get NINA to 'see' the device. Any suggestions???

https://shop.4tronix.co.uk/collections/astro-electronics/products/focus-rfu?fbclid=IwAR3YIedPhzM5367z-6AZ3P-jeQ34F2q9TA4dIwFXXIvGPfOjSr0bzuTG4OI

1 hour ago, scotty38 said:

Ok in that case given it's APT and NINA I'm going to take a stab at the Ascom driver either not doing what you think it should or it's not installing properly. I'd be tempted to ask 4tronix.

Cheers. I have pinged 4Tronix an email. 

53 minutes ago, tomato said:

Which option are you using to try and connect the focuser? I had connection problems with an old version Hitec Focusmaster controlled stepper motor, but it recognised it using the ‘Generic Hub’ option.

I am not seeing a 'Generic Hub' option ??

Hi David.

I've never come across one of these focusers before and can't offer anything specific but in general, the starting off point should be to see if the ASCOM Driver was properly installed.

Assuming that you're current with the ASCOM platform v6.6SP1 then from the Windows programs menu go to the ASCOM Platform 6 program folder and scroll down to the Profile Explorer, double click to open and in Profile Explorer, left side pane, click the "+" symbol against Focuser Drivers to show all the current ASCOM focuser drivers installed on your computer.

If there isn't a listing for the 4tronix focuser then none of your astro apps will be able to find it either.

If there isn't a 4tronix focuser driver installed have a browse of the supplied driver media, maybe the ASCOM installer is a standalone installer that has to be run manually.

One reason that an ASCOM Driver is not installed correctly is that its installer targets the ASCOM platform version when the installer was written and if you have a later or earlier ASCOM platform installed then a badly written installer just fails silently, not installing the driver and not giving an error message.

The other thing to check is your A.V. software, maybe that saw the ASCOM driver installer as a threat and has quarantined the driver.

Besides those possibilities there might be an operational issue with the "bitness" of the driver, 32-bit v 64-bit, but that shouldn't stop it being installed and visible in the ASCOM Profile Explorer.

Can't think of anything else A.T.M.

William.

Thanks @Oddsocks William

The walk through is much appreciated - its a looon time since I last used ASCOM!

The driver doesnt show up - see screen grab below.

Also below is the contents of the USB stick supplied with the device - I think they have missed out the ASCOM driver - I have pinged them an email but they are very slow at replying.

Thanks again for your time and help. 

Screenshot 2023-02-23 204253.png

usb stick.png

Thanks William

I have carefully checked that - no ASCOM options

Interestingly the link to the ASCOM driver on 4tronix website gives a 404 error.

Maybe the USB stick supplied is automatically created and the ASCOM driver is missing

I think I will just have to wait for 4Tronix to reply 😞 

Thanks for your help.

David

Screenshot 2023-02-23 211611.png

23 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

I am not seeing a 'Generic Hub' option ??

Apologies, I thought it was one of the default options in the NINA focus menu but perhaps it only appears if it finds something meeting that description connected to the PC. I was using the Hitec Ascom driver which NINA wouldn't recognise, but it must have assigned this 'Generic Hub' label to it, and it works OK.

2 hours ago, tomato said:

Apologies, I thought it was one of the default options in the NINA focus menu but perhaps it only appears if it finds something meeting that description connected to the PC. I was using the Hitec Ascom driver which NINA wouldn't recognise, but it must have assigned this 'Generic Hub' label to it, and it works OK.

Nae botha. I have tried everything now and I am convinced that I am missing the ASCOM driver package on the USB stick that came with it.

4Tronix are shall we say 'unresponsive' - maybe they are on holiday 😉 

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Skipper Billy

Quick update in case anyone else has a similar issue.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I heard back from 4Tronix -(my emails had gone into their spam trap!)

The master file folder they use for creating the USB sticks to send out with their products had lost the ASCOM driver !!

Its now been corrected.

They sent me a direct download link and now every programme under the sun can access the focuser via ASCOM.

Happy days and many thanks to everyone that assisted.

Clear Skies - David (aka Skipper Billy).

• Like 1