Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An interstellar cyclone: Mandel-Wilson 4 in Ursa Major

gorann

This is a 2-panel mosaic from my dual-RASA8 rig of a very rarely imaged and faint IFN area. Apparently high interstellar winds are blowing there - I had to hold onto the key board when processing it🥴.

The area is also densely packed with distant galaxies. MW-4 has been named the Animal Tracks Nebula. I cannot see any reason for it but I assume it may be from the impression of some early photographic plates lacking depth.

RASA8 with ASI2600MC (no filter). 373 x 3 minutes. Processed in PI and PS, of course including all the XTerminator filters.

Cheers, Göran

20230218-19 MW4 RASA Pan1+2 PS13SmallSign.jpg

• Like 27

1 hour ago, barbulo said:

Breathtaking Göran. Those light buckets squeeze every photon. Congrats.

16 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

What a super image!

Thanks a lot barbulo and simmo! Much appreciated.

40 minutes ago, clarkpm4242 said:

Beautiful!   Background galaxies add lovely depth and detail.

Cheers, Paul.

Thanks a lot Paul! Seeing those small galaxies come out of the data also adds an extra joy to the processing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

I absolutely love it! 

My favourite image of the year (until your next post 😆)

Thank you so much, you are too kind but I will try not to disappoint😉

7 hours ago, Maximidius said:

Never seen this one before but what a thing of beauty. I'm blown away by it,  it's literally blown my socks off and taken the wind out of my sails.  😋 Amazing image!

Thanks a lot Maximidius! Yes, it really seems to be blowing at light years distances, however that works.

• Like 1

That's one awesome image! And as others mentioned as well, haven't seen this target before. 

Not sure I'll ever be able to afford a RASA rig myself but one can dream (and in the mean time enjoy these incredible images). 

9 minutes ago, Elbasso said:

That's one awesome image! And as others mentioned as well, haven't seen this target before. 

Not sure I'll ever be able to afford a RASA rig myself but one can dream (and in the mean time enjoy these incredible images). 

Thanks a lot! I hope you get the chance to get a RASA one day - it is a new world of imaging.