SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81 First HaLRGB - 2nd version added

Zummerzet_Leveller

Hi all.  This is my first HaLRGB (actually the first broadband image I've taken with the 1600GT), taken last week over the 12/13th of Feb.  This was a real chore to process and I couldn't get the stars smaller without losing lots of background stars that I felt added to the image.  I think I may have used too long exposures for my LRGB subs for my Bortle 3/4 location, I'd welcome thoughts on this.

Taken with the Edge HD8 and the x0.7 reducer, ASI1600GT, all ZWO 1.25 filters all on the EQ6-R.

All 300s subs - L = 3hr 15min, R = 2hr 40min, G = 2hr 20min, B = 2hr 25min and Ha = 1hr 35min.

Data processed in Siril (lots of playing with Pixelmath to get the Ha in), GIMP, StarnetV2 and a smidge of Topaz.  Data taken at full resolution but binned 2x2 in post processing.  All views welcome.

M81_Bodes_BinX2_Low.jpg

New_Siril_2x2_1.jpg

Edited by Zummerzet_Leveller
Added v2
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, simmo39 said:

V nice m8. I happen to me working on this target but cant seem to get the star colour to shine like yours.

Thanks Simmo.  I only added the luminance layer once the image was starless and then only in GIMP (luminance setting) with a low opacity (about 1/3).  I found the luminance washed out all of the colour.  So the stars in my image are only RGB.  It's just a shame they are so bloaty.  Even before a stretch in a linear state the most prominent stars were big.  I think in future I'll do shorter RGB subs for the stars.  It's all a learning curve but with the miserable skies we've been having we have to take what we can get!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Thanks Simmo.  I only added the luminance layer once the image was starless and then only in GIMP (luminance setting) with a low opacity (about 1/3).  I found the luminance washed out all of the colour.  So the stars in my image are only RGB.  It's just a shame they are so bloaty.  Even before a stretch in a linear state the most prominent stars were big.  I think in future I'll do shorter RGB subs for the stars.  It's all a learning curve but with the miserable skies we've been having we have to take what we can get!

Still playing with my version of this, think I need another night of data to get anywhere near your image. I seem to be struggling with the star size now! I think it's catching!

• Like 1

On 22/02/2023 at 12:43, maw lod qan said:

Incredible!

On 22/02/2023 at 12:56, mackiedlm said:

thats an excellent image. ncely done.

Thanks both.

@simmo39 just re-processed this data with the newly updated Siril tools that now incorporate StarnetV2 and some great hyperbolic curve controls.  Gone for a slightly more colourful version this time.  The recomposition tool that brings the starless and stars back together in Siril really helps manage them better.

New_Siril_2x2_1.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Thanks both.

@simmo39 just re-processed this data with the newly updated Siril tools that now incorporate StarnetV2 and some great hyperbolic curve controls.  Gone for a slightly more colourful version this time.  The recomposition tool that brings the starless and stars back together in Siril really helps manage them better.

New_Siril_2x2_1.jpg

Thats looking real nice. I was out last night collecting more data so hopefully Ill have something to show in a few days. BTW the colour looks v good and the stars are well controlled, something I need to work on.

• Like 1