SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Question about EQ6 mount

fortytwo

Hello all,

Could someone help me understand the difference between SkyWatcher EQ6 PRO SynScan Equatorial Mount and EQ6-R PRO SynScan Computerised Equatorial Mount please.

Clearly the word computerised is key, but what does that mean. It has a synscan controller already so not sure. I think all both can be plugged into a laptop to use laptop based guiding, and image capture, or am I wrong on that?

I've looked online but can't find a definitive explanation.

Thankyou in advance,

Jeff

Edited by fortytwo

EQ6-R is an improved design, with slightly more payload capacity, belt drive instead of gears (less backlash) and improved altitude adjustment bolts (EQ6's were prone to bending). The EQ6 has been around for decades, so given the price difference it's hard to recomend over the EQ6-R

1 hour ago, SamAndrew said:

EQ6-R is an improved design, with slightly more payload capacity, belt drive instead of gears (less backlash) and improved altitude adjustment bolts (EQ6's were prone to bending). The EQ6 has been around for decades, so given the price difference it's hard to recomend over the EQ6-R

Thanks for that information. Is there any relevence to adding the word Computerised to the EQ6 R Pro do you know?

Cheers,

Jeff

2 hours ago, fortytwo said:

Thanks for that information. Is there any relevence to adding the word Computerised to the EQ6 R Pro do you know?

Cheers,

Jeff

I think it depends where you look whether the word "Computerised" is use in the description. On some sites anything with the SynScan handset has it in the title, where as other sites don't mention it at all.

I found one site where "Computerised" was used to describe the AZ-GTi, EQ3, EQM-35, EQ5, HEQ5, AZ-EQ5, AZ-EQ6, EQ6 & EQ6-R, EQ8-R & CQ350.

I might be wrong, but the term "computerised" may be referring to the Arm based processor used on the new generation of control boards.  Older synscan mounts used PIC microcontrollers which (splitting hairs) technically isn't a processor.  There are subtle differences between the "R" versions of some mounts as described above, and with the new generation of control boards have USB connectivity making them easier to hook up to a PC without the need to purchase an EQDIR cable

21 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

I think it depends where you look whether the word "Computerised" is use in the description. On some sites anything with the SynScan handset has it in the title, where as other sites don't mention it at all.

I found one site where "Computerised" was used to describe the AZ-GTi, EQ3, EQM-35, EQ5, HEQ5, AZ-EQ5, AZ-EQ6, EQ6 & EQ6-R, EQ8-R & CQ350.

Thanks Budgie1, I did think that as well.

11 hours ago, malc-c said:

I might be wrong, but the term "computerised" may be referring to the Arm based processor used on the new generation of control boards.  Older synscan mounts used PIC microcontrollers which (splitting hairs) technically isn't a processor.  There are subtle differences between the "R" versions of some mounts as described above, and with the new generation of control boards have USB connectivity making them easier to hook up to a PC without the need to purchase an EQDIR cable

Thanks Malcolm, certainly the ability to use USB would be preferable.

Thankyou both for your advice.

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by fortytwo