Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lower half of Orion Mosaic

Laurin Dave

The Lower half of Orion from the Bogeyman to the WitchHead. 12 Panel mosaic using a variety of scopes and incorporating data captured mostly using a Samyang135ASI2600 for RGB and also Samyang135ASI1600mm (from 2021)  GT71QHY600 and Askar200QHY600 for Ha and Askar200QHY600 for Lum on the right hand side. Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop.  I've also attached an annotated version.

Thanks for looking

Dave

Orion_Samyang135_HaRGB_Mosaic_Final_50pc_21Feb23.thumb.jpg.e4b568e9d02fbfcb1a107721ec916ef6.jpg

Orion_Samyang135_HaRGB_Mosaic_Final_25pc_21Feb23_Annotated.thumb.jpg.acaf6c6737689adec72ca6aac6b917f0.jpg

• Like 41
  • Thanks 2

It is frankly stunning.  I've had a few attempts at wide field Orion with reasonable results but this blows them all out of the water.  The detail that you have managed to capture of the various objects by undertaking such a large mosaic is what makes it for me.  

This is dedication to the hobby and I can only hope to replicate something like this one day.  Great job.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That really is super. It also made me chuckle because we happen to be doing just the same project here...  Full Samyang 135 Orion enhanced in regions of interest by telescopic data. We have the full height in the can but need another strip down the left hand side to finish the framing properly. I think we'll be lucky to catch it this season because we've had some down time with mount issues, an electronic problem, a broken bracket (Do not buy the Wega Samyang lens holder) and a local internet shut down. You couldn't make it up.)

It's very interesting to compare your result with ours. We have no Ha,  just OSC, so you're deeper on the gas and our balance of gas-dust differs, not surprisingly.  I'd say we've made quite a few similar processing decisions and a few rather different ones but it's probably reassuring to see that the images are remarkably similar, really. It shows we don't just make this stuff up!

Anyway, a great piece of work with well-judged blending of the telescopic bits. Had I not imaged this myself in the Samyang I wouldn't have been able to tell it had been enhanced. It's seamless.

Olly

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

That really is super. It also made me chuckle because we happen to be doing just the same project here...  Full Samyang 135 Orion enhanced in regions of interest by telescopic data. We have the full height in the can but need another strip down the left hand side to finish the framing properly. I think we'll be lucky to catch it this season because we've had some down time with mount issues, an electronic problem, a broken bracket (Do not buy the Wega Samyang lens holder) and a local internet shut down. You couldn't make it up.)

It's very interesting to compare your result with ours. We have no Ha,  just OSC, so you're deeper on the gas and our balance of gas-dust differs, not surprisingly.  I'd say we've made quite a few similar processing decisions and a few rather different ones but it's probably reassuring to see that the images are remarkably similar, really. It shows we don't just make this stuff up!

Anyway, a great piece of work with well-judged blending of the telescopic bits. Had I not imaged this myself in the Samyang I wouldn't have been able to tell it had been enhanced. It's seamless.

Olly

Thank you Olly,  much appreciated.  Looking forward to seeing your version, hopefully not too long a wait.  

Dave

• Like 1

A lot of likes and comments but many of them not much more than one word and after looking at that superb image for some considerable time I see why, it really does take your breath away and leave you in awe, and almost speechless.

After regaining my breath and power of speech:
How great to see such a wide field image of  a very busy piece of the sky with regions we all know and where there are targets we have all imaged but never really see them in  such context to each other.

A tremendous project, really well done and thank-you so much for sharing with us 🙂 

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alpal said:

That's amazing -

you could make a poster 5 meters wide and it would still be sharp.

cheers

Allan

Thank you Allan..

1 hour ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

A lot of likes and comments but many of them not much more than one word and after looking at that superb image for some considerable time I see why, it really does take your breath away and leave you in awe, and almost speechless.

After regaining my breath and power of speech:
How great to see such a wide field image of  a very busy piece of the sky with regions we all know and where there are targets we have all imaged but never really see them in  such context to each other.

A tremendous project, really well done and thank-you so much for sharing with us 🙂 

Steve

Thanks  Steve..   much appreciated..   I've just about recovered now after a long lie down :) 

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laurin Dave said:

Thank you Allan..

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm not kidding.

With a 12 panel mosaic you have enough detail to make a very large poster.

Maybe not 5 meters wide but maybe at least 3 meters?

It would look very interesting on a wall in a house or even in a restaurant or library.

Allan

• Like 1