SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Duplex Moon Atlas by Ronald Stoyan

FLO

As requested 🙂 

The Duplex Moon Atlas with:

• Two separate sections for users of refractors with star diagonal and reflectors
  • Based on a high-resolution digital model rather than photos or drawings
  • 38 charts of the whole lunar nearside with consistent shadow setting
  • Eight additional charts of areas of the lunar farside which earthbound observers can see in favourable libration conditions
  • 1261 named main features, including all named craters, mountains, valleys, hills, and rilles of the lunar nearside
  • About 6000 secondary craters to 10° of the nearside‘s rim
  • All impact and landing sites of human spacecraft ever to touch the lunar surface
  • Alphabetical index of all features and sites

ov_duplex_moon_atlas_sgl.jpg.406dbfdc13415ac025be04326e7d47a9.jpg

• Like 8

I bought this before FLO stocked it.  In my view it's easily the best practical  atlas of the Moon that I have, and I have more than a dozen.  It's now my goto if I need to identify some feature.  Previously it was the 21st Century Atlas, but the Stoyan has a larger scale, and of course having the two sections for both a Newtonian reflector and a diagonal view it's a no brainer if you choose to use both which I do or just the latter 

I would point out though that it has no information at all about the various features- and I really mean nothing!  This isn't a criticism as it is an atlas to identify features which it does admirably.  All lunarphiles will have other sources of reference anyway.

• Like 5

Ordered yesterday, arrived today, thanks FLO what a service.

This atlas is the bees knees, it says it's printed on laminated paper but it's laminated card. Ring bound, very strong, wipeable and the diagonal version is exactly what I need. If you're an oldie like me and still like to use printed material at the eyepiece rather than fancy apps on your phone, then this is the ultimate Luna atlas.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, DPF said:

Would anyone have any views on how the Duplex Moon Atlas compares to the lunar maps in Atlas of the Night Sky by Storm Dunlop.

Thanks

This is one of the maps, whole page.  It looks a bit more contrasty than it should due to a bright ceiling light.

20230222_204918.thumb.jpg.accb00678a4a7b6f3440fec49e35e76b.jpg

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 22/02/2023 at 20:53, paulastro said:

This is one of the maps, whole page.  It looks a bit more contrasty than it should due to a bright ceiling light.

20230222_204918.thumb.jpg.accb00678a4a7b6f3440fec49e35e76b.jpg

You've convinced me to purchase the book - looking forward to it arriving

My copy also arrived yesterday and looks really good. Thanks for sharing the pages of your copies 👍

I am now visualising everyone on a clear night looking at the same sections of the moon within the book 😂

Enjoy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Uses the same LRO data as the 21st century atlas. My only grumble is the contrast/brightness level chosen can make some rima/wrinkle ridges hard to see. Look for rupes/rima Cauchy for example. The hand drawn ones do better here, but fail on the actual, realistic detail. 
the duplex is a solid, useful atlas to have.

Peter

• 1 month later...
On 27/02/2023 at 20:23, PeterW said:

Uses the same LRO data as the 21st century atlas. My only grumble is the contrast/brightness level chosen can make some rima/wrinkle ridges hard to see. Look for rupes/rima Cauchy for example. The hand drawn ones do better here, but fail on the actual, realistic detail. 
the duplex is a solid, useful atlas to have.

Peter

Hi Peter, do you have both the Duplex and the 21st century atlas? How do they compare? I noticed that the 21st C has more pages yet the Duplex has 2versions of each page (refractor/newt view) so is the scale bigger in the 21st C atlas?

Mark

edit- just read your nice review on CN

Edited by markse68

43 minutes ago, markse68 said:

so is the scale bigger in the 21st C atlas?

Not addressed to me but I'll answer as I have both. The Duplex atlas has a larger scale than the 21st Century atlas, (Duplex=38 maps v 21st=28 maps) the latter has more pages because it goes into more descriptive text material, whereas the Duplex is just an atlas for use at the eyepiece. I think they complement each other very well.

• Thanks 3

If you want an atlas to use at the eyepiece rather than a phone app, then definitely go for the Duplex, the 21st atlas is more of a reference work. The 21st atlas is good and the images are taken from the same resource as Peter mentions above but there are more detailed descriptions and lots of other great stuff like Apollo landing sites and the far side in the book, which you aren't going to be reading whilst in the garden at night.

• Like 2

I've spent my astro budget for this month but I'll probably get them both next month ;) 

I think there's a gap in the market for a really well designed Moon atlas app for phone/tablet where you have images based on these LRO images/model with realistic terminator, zoomable with every detail identified and more detail/identifiers as you zoom in. That would be perfect :) . A much better version of what SkySafari offers which is ok but not great and awkward to use.

Mark

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

I've spent my astro budget for this month but I'll probably get them both next month ;) 

I think there's a gap in the market for a really well designed Moon atlas app for phone/tablet where you have images based on these LRO images/model with realistic terminator, zoomable with every detail identified and more detail/identifiers as you zoom in. That would be perfect :) . A much better version of what SkySafari offers which is ok but not great and awkward to use.

Mark

This software from NASA is what you're after perhaps Mark.  On my, now broken, laptop the high res images are incredible. The detail on the terminator is exactly what you will see in your scope - it really is uncanny.

On my phone the high res images don't download properly alas, they may on better phones.  Don't be put off by the low res images, the full res really are the business.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/5048

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I now have this Atlas to accompany the 21st Century Atlas of the Moon. I’ve been slowly working my way through the Lunar 100 (26 to go). I’ve gone through and labelled up the pages with L100 targets that I’m yet to see. I’ve just done it on the refractor section as that’s what I plan to use for Lunar observing. 

IMG_2082.thumb.jpeg.3f0a492663aee55a1cc1a1d1f2b8e821.jpeg

• Like 8