SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polaris, Neck,

Hi Guys, I am hoping you can help with this problem, 1st I am retired so I'm an oldie, on top of which I have

a severe injury to my spine, which causes the inability to crank my neck to the angle required to align Polaris.

Very new, I have perhaps 32 days of experience, which amounts to roughly 1 night with clear skies. (Scotland)

I have had the time to look up alternatives to this align Polaris problem.

Which I hope you will be able to help me with.

Gear... Sky Adventurer Pro 2i, Camera Nikon D800, Lens 400mm usable about max 320mm, in my haste to become Pro in a few days I also bought a Telrad Planet finder sort of thing, it has built-in bull rings with a dot centre,

software... Apple Ipad 10",  my moby, and a number of apps.

Question.. How can I align Polaris without using the built in eye scope, and without paying £300 for a camera (QHY Polemaster Electric Polar Scope ).?

Huge thanx for your input.

Kind Regards

Gary

Hello Gary. Welcome to SGL.

Contact one of the astro retailers (for example FLO who sponsor this site. They can advise which right angle adapter to fit your mount.

Another big help generally would be to be able to leave a pier or tripod permantly set up.
A pier cemented down is ideal.
Align once and you are done.

You can buy weather covers (look up Telegizmo).

If you are bothered about damp affecting the mount, you can install a small heater under the cover.

HTH, David.

• Like 1