Narrowband

Supernova hunting (SN2023bee)

Littleguy80

Observing started early evening when daughter's friend asked if he could look through one of my telescopes. The 80mm refractor went outside with two excited 8 year olds. I showed them, Jupiter, Mars and M42. As I was explaining that M42 was a star forming region my daughter piped up with "Alright Dad, we don't need a science lesson. We just want to see". I guess the views spoke for themselves ;) 

Around 21:30, with all the little people safely tucked up in bed, I returned to the garden. I went for aperture this time and used my 10" dob. Whilst I gained some dark adaptation, I began observing in Puppies. I enjoyed the pairing of the Messier open clusters M46 and M47. M46 is a favourite as it has the planetary nebula, NGC 2438, hiding within it. I could spot this unfiltered but it really popped with the TV UHC filter. 

Happy with my dark adaption, I went off in search of Supernova SN2023bee. It's currently listed as being mag 13.2 but is fairly low down in Hydra. The host galaxy (NGC 2708) is close to mag 12 but I believe its surface brightness is lower than that. Certainly I never got anything good enough to call an observation of the galaxy itself. On finding the correct location, I spent quite some time going between the eyepiece, SkySafari and images of the SN. I slowly built up a mental map of where the SN was in relation to the stars around it. I determined that I should see a line of 4 point sources (3 stars and the SN) in a line all in the range of mag 13.2-13.6. I started with the Docter 12.5mm, then the Delos 10mm but still felt like I was really struggling to pick up any of the stars. I keep the Baader VIP barlow in 2" mode to attach to the Docter which makes it approximately equivalent to a 7mm eyepiece. This was definitely better as I was now getting some of the stars with averted vision. I changed eyepieces again to the Pentax 5mm and again saw an improvement. I would let the stars slowly drift through the eyepiece and count up the line. Repeatedly I counted 3. I knew one must be the SN as it should be brighter than at least 2 of the stars. However, I wouldn't be satisfied until my count reach 4. I went inside and got an additional T2 extension tube and added it to the VIP Barlow/Docter combination to further up the magnification. The Docter has a well deserved reputation for going deeper than most eyepieces and the Baader VIP is a great parter for it. On the second or third pass, I got my first count of 4. I spent another 15 mins or so getting some repeat observations to convince myself it wasn't averted imagination. All in all, I spent over an hour and half getting this observation. It was really engaging and the time flew by. I took breaks to look up at the stars or walk up and down the garden to give my eyes a break. I also noticed an improvement in my observations after these short breaks. 

Under darker skies this would have been a much easier observation but it was the challenge that made it so fun. I had a real sense of achievement in seeing this SN. I spent the rest of the session picking up some fun but easier targets like M97, the Owl Nebula, which looked ace with the TV OIII filter. Eventually the clouds rolled in some time just after midnight. One of the most enjoyable sessions I've had with my dob in recent times. 

• Like 17

Enjoyed reading the report, thank you!

Went after the same SN on Sunday evening with my 15" dob from a nearby dark site. The SN was fairly bright but only hints of the host galaxy could be seen, Hydra being quite low in the sky as you said. It was the grand final to my evening as well!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, davhei said:

Enjoyed reading the report, thank you!

Went after the same SN on Sunday evening with my 15" dob from a nearby dark site. The SN was fairly bright but only hints of the host galaxy could be seen, Hydra being quite low in the sky as you said. It was the grand final to my evening as well!

Thank you! Great work on seeing the SN. I didn't know you have a 15" dob now! How's that comparing to your 10"?

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thank you! Great work on seeing the SN. I didn't know you have a 15" dob now! How's that comparing to your 10"?

Yes! I got it from a member of my astro club who built it himself twenty odd years ago. Works well and is comfortable to use seated at f4. But honestly since getting it in Sep last year I have only used it in anger from a proper dark site twice, and those within the last few weeks. Weather has been awful! I really need to explore the potential more, but so far I noted that the Flame Nebula, that has eluded me with the 10", showed up with dark lane detail without too much effort. I look forward to galaxy season proper, when Virgo is higher. I think I can make some comparisons of the CVn galaxies and the spiral structure in M51 having been through the faint fuzzies there a number of times with the 10".

I had on and off entertained the idea of a larger scope (who hasn't!), but in all honesty I didn't feel like I had exhausted the 10" by any means. But when the 15" came up for sale I just couldn't pass up on the opportunity!

Edit: The 10" is a keeper by the way, I think it occupies a sweet spot for a scope. Ability, ease of setup etc.

Edited by davhei
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, davhei said:

Yes! I got it from a member of my astro club who built it himself twenty odd years ago. Works well and is comfortable to use seated at f4. But honestly since getting it in Sep last year I have only used it in anger from a proper dark site twice, and those within the last few weeks. Weather has been awful! I really need to explore the potential more, but so far I noted that the Flame Nebula, that has eluded me with the 10", showed up with dark lane detail without too much effort. I look forward to galaxy season proper, when Virgo is higher. I think I can make some comparisons of the CVn galaxies and the spiral structure in M51 having been through the faint fuzzies there a number of times with the 10".

I had on and off entertained the idea of a larger scope (who hasn't!), but in all honesty I didn't feel like I had exhausted the 10" by any means. But when the 15" came up for sale I just couldn't pass up on the opportunity!

Edit: The 10" is a keeper by the way, I think it occupies a sweet spot for a scope. Ability, ease of setup etc.

Sounds great. I feel exactly the same about the 10”. It can show more than I’m seeing and would be a keeper if I got a bigger scope. I spent a long time looking at a 16” scope last year but didn’t go for it in the end. Your description of the flame already has me thinking :D

Looking forward to your reports on the 15” over galaxy season :) 

• Thanks 1

Great writing. It really describes the challenge of seeing something difficult. I've been spending most of my recent opportunities revisiting stuff I've seen before but those days when I'm up for a tough fight and eventually succeed are probably the best nights. I admire your tenacity and I hope I get to see a supernova one day.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, domstar said:

Great writing. It really describes the challenge of seeing something difficult. I've been spending most of my recent opportunities revisiting stuff I've seen before but those days when I'm up for a tough fight and eventually succeed are probably the best nights. I admire your tenacity and I hope I get to see a supernova one day.

Thank you! Supernovae are particularly fun I always think. Often they’re quite dim so a real challenge to find and identify. Then there’s the knowledge that you’re seeing the final great explosion of a star. Most times the SN happened millions of years ago and we’re only just finding out about it! Finally, those of us who manage to get a glimpse are part of very small group of people who were lucky enough to see the event. 

You’ll definitely see a Supernova one day :) 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...