SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How to zoom out Camera

I'm using a SV105 camera with my telescope but the camera is way to zoomed in and I'm trying to figure out how I can decrease its zoom so I can actually see stuff. I'm using the AstroDMx Capture software. If anyone knows how to use that software or camera to decrease the zoom that would be very helpful.

Thanks Mitch

You do not explain what you are trying to image with this camera, or with what telescope. Here is a helpful review:

SVBONY SV105 Review (Is It Any Good?) (telescopeguides.com)

It is a common feature of such cameras that the effective field of view is very small even if you select in the capture software to use the full chip. This camera is intended for planetary imaging, where the full area of the chip is not required, except for the Moon. 

There is nothing you can do to 'zoom out' other than use an optical 'focal reducer' (q.v.)

You do not have to use the AstroDMx software. The review recommends Sharpcap.

2 hours ago, Jackal1258 said:

I'm using a SV105 camera with my telescope but the camera is way to zoomed in and I'm trying to figure out how I can decrease its zoom so I can actually see stuff. I'm using the AstroDMx Capture software. If anyone knows how to use that software or camera to decrease the zoom that would be very helpful.

Thanks Mitch

This might help, in conjunction with @Cosmic Geoff's advice above:

http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

Just plug in the requested sensor data and the model or details of your telescope, then choose different focal reducers until you get the desired field of view. I guess, given this camera's limited capabilities, you are trying to image a large part or the whole of the Moon.

Hiya Mitch

Been along a similar learning curve myself. I’ll try not to repeat what others have said but briefly, magnification is equal to the “focal length” of the telescope divided by focal length of your eyepiece. So 500mm FL telescope with 10mm eyepiece = x50 magnification/zoom

The SV105 is roughly equivalent to a 4mm eyepiece, so for a telescope of 500mm FL, and 4mm eyepiece, that’s a magnification of x125. If you have 1000mm FL telescope, then that’s x250!  Great for planets, not great for wide-field shots of open star cluster etc

The SV105 is also limited on exposure length by the looks of it, just half a second… when if you look at most pictures people share they’ll be using exposure lengths of 20s at least, sometime 2 minutes or more.

OK. So, yes as has been said, good set up for planets, but a little deep sky might be possible with effort and managed expectations 😁 - and I’m thinking globular clusters. They’re fairly small targets and some are pretty bright. You’ll want to start with the brightest and you’re lucky enough to live in the Southern hemisphere you have a big advantage in what you can see- 47 Tucanae and Omega Centauri - both big for globulars, but also very bright. Have a go and see you can get anything!

Getting on for ten years ago my first deep sky image was of a globular cluster using a second-hand cctv camera stuck in the back of my 1300mm telescope🤪. It had the same size sensor as you’re using (~4mm), and while it was able to do up to 4s exposures, I was imaging a much dimmer globular at longer FL… it’s errr… not staggering quality… but I’m still super proud of it and I got better and practiced more and in the end bought (slightly) better kit. 

So yeah, manage expectation, but do have a go your lovey bright Southern globulars and show us how you did 👍

024BA9F4-C952-409D-B980-F3A720DDA61B.jpeg

Just seen your update - yes a 0.5x focal reducer is cheap as chips and well worth a go- I still use one. Be aware they don’t always give exactly 0.5x, depends a bit on the device itself and your set up. Mine actually gives me 0.63x.

Also, thinking a bit more about your camera, it may only be able to save video output (AVI) rather than still images. The usual starting programme people use to stack images (which massively helps to reduce background noise/graininess - and I didn’t do in my image above!) is Deep Space Stacker, but off the top of my head I don’t think it can process video files. If I’ve remembered right you’ll either need to a converter programme to convert the AVI to a set of still images so that DSS can process them or use a different programme - AutoStakkert is worth a go because it’s also free, pretty straight forward to use, and can read AVI video files without conversion. Right, I’ll leave you to it, good luck!

Unfortunately, the AstroDMx Capture software doesn't have a way to adjust the zoom level of the camera directly. However, you can achieve the same effect by adjusting the focal length of the telescope. This can be done either by changing the eyepiece or by adjusting the focuser if your telescope has one. If you are using a motorized focuser, you can use the AstroDMx Capture software to control the focuser. You can also adjust the field of view of your telescope by using a camera reducer or barlow lens. This should allow you to get the desired zoom level for your camera.