Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Resolving Barnards Loop.

Grump Martian

Barnard's Loop is an emission nebula in the constellation of Orion. It is easy enough to resolve the Orion nebula M42 with 4 or 5 inch telescopes. But who has resolved the outer nebula in Orion known as the Barnards loop? Even in a dark sky I have not seen it using my 4 and 5 inch refractors. Other dark sky objects such as the veil nebula and similar have not been seen by me. I would imagine a 12 inch or above would be best.

Edited by Grump Martian

1 hour ago, Grump Martian said:

Barnard's Loop is an emission nebula in the constellation of Orion. It is easy enough to resolve the Orion nebula M42 with 4 or 5 inch telescopes. But who has resolved the outer nebula in Orion known as the Barnards loop? Even in a dark sky I have not seen it using my 4 and 5 inch refractors. Other dark sky objects such as the veil nebula and similar have not been seen by me. I would imagine a 12 inch or above would be best.

I see it regularly- the last scope I used on it was the Heritage 130 flextube, but all my scopes show it. Although not a necessity a Hb does really help, espc when first trying to see it. Start at M78 , swing over and catch the edge- this area is the brightest of the loop IMHO.

What is a necessity are dark transparent skies.IMHO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On a particularly dark and transparent night, then yes an aspect of Barnard's Loop is visually detectable. 

Requirements include complete dark adaptation and a period for observing hard deep sky objects, that may begin such as with the Flame and increase in challenge to engage with The Horsehead. A good quality H-beta filter at 2" to accept a wide field low power eyepiece that permits a large exit pupil is beneficial. Begin at M78 and drift across towards NGC 2112. You may encounter a 'curtain', a veil that blots out the background stars, this section is considered to be the more visually attainable. Once accustomed, you could even drift downwards to follow the curvature a little way. 

A Sky Quality Meter is helpful to optimise the best time period and when Orion is culminating. Aperture is actually less important, I have detected Barnard's Loop both in my 85mm refractor and 14" dob, a fairly good field of view is more relevant. It is an accomplishment, in observer skills and is within the cusp for what is attainable by conventional approach. Afterwards if you return to more easily seen objects, they light up like a beacon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The object is utterly vast, so a telescope shows only the tiniest parts at any one time. People do say they've seen parts of it but it gained its name only after photography recorded it. Nobody has ever seen 'Barnard's Loop' as a loop.

Olly

• Like 2

As noted it isn’t a compete loop, the top left bit is missing. There is another big nebulae (angelfish/lambda Orionis) covering most of the lambda Orionis cluster, giving orion “a head”. (M42 is quite titchy). Another one at the edge of the visible realm and demanding great transparency.

Peter

• Thanks 1

@Grump Martian good luck with your quest! I do wonder whether aiming to see easier objects such as the Veil and North America Nebula might be a good stepping stone along the way? I know they are not well placed currently but do give them a go next time around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the veil is lovely from a dark sky site. From the same site I've seen it through two scopes: the first was a 4" and you could see the whole lot; the next was the witch's broom though a 16" and that was absolutely stunning. It makes you long for dark skies.

Unfortunately where I am, it is beyond even large scopes :sad2: I feel lucky to see M42 let alone Barnard's loop!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stu said:

I do wonder whether aiming to see easier objects such as the Veil and North America Nebula might be a good stepping stone along the way?

Great point Stu, what you mention here is the key to success IMHO. Doing so really enhances object recognition, espc for these faint nebs.Learning to "catch the edge" is a key element in seeing some things like Barnards Loop, California and a lot of them.

@Grump Martian a great nebula to try in the Orion area is the Flame,next to Alnitak. No filter is needed and it will show under less than dark skies -a little but- if things are right ie narrow TFOV eyepiece. Many of us use it as the test of the sky- if it doesnt show very well, forget the HH, Barnards Loop etc.

Good luck!

Try finding M78- no filter- as a warm up, and the Flame.

Edited by jetstream
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stu said:

@Grump Martian good luck with your quest! I do wonder whether aiming to see easier objects such as the Veil and North America Nebula might be a good stepping stone along the way? I know they are not well placed currently but do give them a go next time around.

I will keep searching for Barnards Loop while it rises Stu. Looking forward to The Veil when it rises. Thanks

24 minutes ago, Grump Martian said:

I will keep searching for Barnards Loop while it rises Stu. Looking forward to The Veil when it rises. Thanks

Another good one to try nearby might be the Rosette nebula. It’s fairly big, so a low power, widefield eyepiece is best to pick up the edges of the whole thing. I take it you have an OIII or UHC filter?

• Like 2