Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flatener/reducer question

ASK60

Greetings all, I'm new(ish)  to the hobby at least with the new post retirement hardware. The setup includes a WO FLT120 and was sold to me with a flatener/reducer which needs an adapter to fit the focuser. In the optical line I now have the reducer, EFW (with adapter ring to fit the reducer) and the camera.  Focuser gets focus at only ~19mm withdrawn, presumably because of all the other stuff in the optical line.  However all of the images I get have quite significant vignetting in them and I'm wondering if the flatener/reducer is the right on for the scope or if there is a better alternative out there I should be using.

Pictures included to aid understanding of the setup, all advice from more experienced users welcome.

Thanks

IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

I have a Rising Cam IMX571 which is the same sensor size as the 2600 and I get some vignetting with a non-reducing flattener. Given the reducer is giving you a smaller image, it is likely to be worse. Also, what size filters are you using? If they are 1.25" you are likely to get some vignetting. Is it so bad you cannot correct it with flats?

Thanks for the replies so far. It looks to me like I will need to revisit the choice of flatener, the size of filters or both to address the initial cause of the vignetting. To be clear flats do some decent work on reducing the vignetting and the images from the 2600mm are huge so a bit of cropping sorts things out for now.

Onward and upwards as the saying goes. Next adventure/headache, how do drive Pixinsight 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ASK60 said:

Thanks for the replies so far. It looks to me like I will need to revisit the choice of flatener, the size of filters or both to address the initial cause of the vignetting. To be clear flats do some decent work on reducing the vignetting and the images from the 2600mm are huge so a bit of cropping sorts things out for now.

Onward and upwards as the saying goes. Next adventure/headache, how do drive Pixinsight 🙂

Pixinsight is not compulsory.

Olly