Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First shot at Venus and Uranus 16 Feb 2023

BGazing

10 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I wonder how Venus would image using your FC100DF? Visually I've often found that I get the best views in twilight, so perhaps there may be an imaging advantage in twilight too? I'm not an imager so I'm only guessing! 

Well, I started imaging planets only this summer, so take my answers with a grain of salt...but here is what I think I understood by reading around. (By the way, I recommend Planetary astronomy edited by Pellier, if you are into planetary observation and imaging).

DF in continuum would require ADC, and perhaps would present more problems because of the correction in blue. I find my colors are much better aligned with C8, although it is an inferior instrument when it comes to craftsmanship. Imaging in twilight is doable, I think I got this image before astro dark (could be nautical twilight, hard to tell in urban environment). Expositions in visible light are, when it comes to Venus, so short that I reckon there would be no benefit from going down in aperture.

The real deal is imaging either in infrared (which would be doable in twilight) and would reveal lower Venusian clouds, or in UV (for which you need to have a reasonably dark sky as the UV is dispersed during daylight). Refractors and their lenses absorb UV, I believe fluorite absorbs less or minimally so, but there's that other element.

Visually, you could try #38 and #47 on Venus and clouds. I will be trying #47, but then again C8 has twice the aperture of DF and #47 cuts to 3-5 percent of light. It also grabs some UV and people had nice results with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1