Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

weird ringed artifacts in my images

Hi, I'm wondering if any one can help me,

I've just started imaging through my telescope and keep getting a very strange set of rings on my images with bright stars, the rings move around and change position depending what angle the camera is at.

also the stars at the edges look like they are trailing or out of collimation or out of focus or something. 

im using a celestron nexstar 6slt with antares x0.63 focual reducer, sc -tpiece and canon 650D. 60mm guide scope with svbony sv305pro to guide

I've been racking my brain a lot about this and really need help. DSS wont stack them because it cant see stars and when I got it to stack a couple of images it didnt actually align the images it just put them one on top of the other.

blue ring (2).CR2 blue ring (3).CR2 blue ring (4).CR2 blue ring.CR2

4 minutes ago, Aramcheck said:

@labtech1122 - The stars are a bit out of focus & I think the elongation at the edge is due to the camera back focus being too large (i.e. camera sensor is too far from the field flattener). The blue rings look to me like internal reflections from the bright star.

Just my 2p!
Cheers
Ivor

sgl.jpg

ok thanks alot, i was worried about the back focus but everywhere i read it says it is right, ive got the antares x0.63 focal reducar and the #93633-A celestron tpiece

28 minutes ago, labtech1122 said:

ive stacked 6 images just to show the rings more clearly

(ive tried getting the focus spot on but very hard to do with the light pollution i have here, any tips on advancing it?)

Autosave001.tif 125.63 MB · 0 downloads

If you use a batinov mask you can get focus spot on. Could you upload the stack in jpeg format please 😊

Lee 

2 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

If you use a batinov mask you can get focus spot on. Could you upload the stack in jpeg format please 😊

Lee 

yes sure, shall i stretch it first? ive very hard to see anything on it, ive used a batinov mask to focus on the stars but you cant see the spikes off the star because of the light pollution, i zoomed in on the star with my dslr and tried my best but it was extreamly dificult to see the spikes from the batinov

Autosave001.jpg

4 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Lee 

because the star detection (im assuming due to the focus) is so bad its not alighing the images either its just placing one image ontop of the other (or i have a setting wrong in DSS, ive tried for about a year now to work out DSS but ive never seemed to be able to work it out

17 minutes ago, labtech1122 said:

because the star detection (im assuming due to the focus) is so bad its not alighing the images either its just placing one image ontop of the other (or i have a setting wrong in DSS, ive tried for about a year now to work out DSS but ive never seemed to be able to work it out

Yes stretch it first the upload your jpeg. Looking at your image focus is off and maybe as said backfocus is slightly off. 

Whereabouts are you in the UK with your light pollution. There must be a bright star in your view to focus on eg Capella, Betelguise, Castor, Rigel, Regulus at the moment etc. They should provide you with a nice star to see the spikes. 

I would say DSS is struggling with aligning due to the stars shapes, are all your subs off focus. Try stacking some of the data available from tutorials online maybe, just my thoughts. 

Lee

Edited by AstroNebulee

17 minutes ago, labtech1122 said:

yes sure, shall i stretch it first? ive very hard to see anything on it, ive used a batinov mask to focus on the stars but you cant see the spikes off the star because of the light pollution, i zoomed in on the star with my dslr and tried my best but it was extreamly dificult to see the spikes from the batinov

Autosave001.jpg

Use a big bright star and up the iso on your camera .. longer exposure length also helps

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Yes stretch it first the upload your jpeg. Looking at your image focus is off and maybe as said backfocus is slightly off. 

Whereabouts are you in the UK with your light pollution. There must be a bright star in your view to focus on eg Capella, Betelguise, Castor, Rigel, Regulus at the moment etc. They should provide you with a nice star to see the spikes. 

I would say DSS is struggling with aligning due to the stars shapes, are all your subs off focus. Try stacking some of the data available from tutorials online maybe, just my thoughts. 

Lee

i live in peterborough but noth is of it so when i photo graph the flame or orion or anything all the light pollusion from the city glares everything. the image i uploaded was meant to be of the flame lol. i focused on jupiter because it was the clearest to see at the time but still didnt show the spikes like you see in all the batinov photos or videos. is it ok to focus on jupiter?

attached is the stretched image 

stretch image of 6 stacked images.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, labtech1122 said:

i live in peterborough but noth is of it so when i photo graph the flame or orion or anything all the light pollusion from the city glares everything. the image i uploaded was meant to be of the flame lol. i focused on jupiter because it was the clearest to see at the time but still didnt show the spikes like you see in all the batinov photos or videos. is it ok to focus on jupiter?

as you can see its stacked the images ontop of echother but not aligned. my main problem is the rings though

49 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Use a big bright star and up the iso on your camera .. longer exposure length also helps

ok thanks, how should i do the longer exposure lengths with my dslr, meaning shall i do it sharpcap or backyeard EOS.

i tried using the screen on the camera and zoomed 10x but that didnt work. maybe i need to keep trying until its compleaty clear.

i went to devon at the weekend and it was so clear and yould see the stars sparkle but its extreamly rare to get that here

5 minutes ago, labtech1122 said:

As newbie above says up your iso on your dslr to view a brighter star and focus s with your bat mask. 

I've never trued my bat mask on Jupiter so cannot comment but would of thought ok, though best to use a bright star. 

What are your individual subs like are they all bad? The blue rings as said above are internal reflections most probably. 

How is your guiding in reference to the subs, looks a bit of trailing. 

Lee 

10 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

As newbie above says up your iso on your dslr to view a brighter star and focus s with your bat mask. 

I've never trued my bat mask on Jupiter so cannot comment but would of thought ok, though best to use a bright star. 

What are your individual subs like are they all bad? The blue rings as said above are internal reflections most probably. 

Lee 

ok i will try that on the next clear night, each sub looks kind of ok in the center but alot of trailing on the stars on the edges in a radial fashion. the guiding seemed to be doing ok while i was doing it although im not sure it was up up right, i was advised to use a tracking rate of 0.9x but have since seen people saying not to have it that hight, i used sharpcap for the plar align and got the tracking going and looked ok, some over corrections but seemed ok

17 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Lee 

i was wondering if the tracking was ok when i first did the evening so went from 200s to 100s but the trils didnt get longer or worse so i out it down to an optics problem eith either focus, back focus, the FR or the camera.

how do i get rid of internal reflections?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, labtech1122 said:

i was wondering if the tracking was ok when i first did the evening so went from 200s to 100s but the trils didnt get longer or worse so i out it down to an optics problem eith either focus, back focus, the FR or the camera.

how do i get rid of internal reflections?

Hopefully someone else will chip in soon with better advice than I. 

I don't know a lot about internal reflections but could be caused by anything in the optical train from your scope down to your dslr. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee

12 minutes ago, labtech1122 said:

ok i will try that on the next clear night, each sub looks kind of ok in the center but alot of trailing on the stars on the edges in a radial fashion. the guiding seemed to be doing ok while i was doing it although im not sure it was up up right, i was advised to use a tracking rate of 0.9x but have since seen people saying not to have it that hight, i used sharpcap for the plar align and got the tracking going and looked ok, some over corrections but seemed ok

Just seen this post, sorry. 

The shape of your stars in that radial position indicates your sensor is to far away from the scope. Try moving it in a bit. 

Can you take a picture of your optical train please. 

Lee

download.jpeg

3 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Hopefully someone else will chip in soon with better advice than I. 

If you went from 200 secs to 100 secs the trailing would probably still be there. Maybe next time try experimenting with shorter exposures, starting with 20 secs and upwards to see if the trailing is still there. What software are you using to guide? 

I don't know a lot about internal reflections but could be caused by anything in the optical train from your scope down to your dslr. 

Lee 

oh ok, i did that reduction because i thought 100s more would show up any issues. i took a photo of orion with 20s and the stars on the outer edges trailed in the same rotaional way (i dont have these images anymore i accidently deleted them 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, labtech1122 said:

oh ok, i did that reduction because i thought 100s more would show up any issues. i took a photo of orion with 20s and the stars on the outer edges trailed in the same rotaional way (i dont have these images anymore i accidently deleted them 

See most post above 👆, your sensor is to far away from the scope.

I did find this article on here, not sure if it's any use to you? 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee

10 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Just seen this post, sorry. 

The shape of your stars in that radial position indicates your sensor is to far away from the scope. Try moving it in a bit. 

Can you take a picture of your optical train please. 

Lee

download.jpeg

20230219_121143.jpg

• Like 1