Narrowband

Let's see your grab n go lightweight setups.

2 minutes ago, Franklin said:

When you're focused on the stars, what number is reading on the scale?

Problem solved, my prism diagonal has a shorter light path than the mirror one and that's why I'm having to rack the drawtube out more. Doh!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

Love that mount, They still don't make them ?

I think you can get them on the ali tripod but the photo head version is only available in Japan, I picked this up cheap from the auctions and although they're very compact and light and the slo-mo's work well, there is a compromise in stability, 2sec dampening time after focusing even at low power. On the other hand, scope, mount and tripod all fit in a daysack. I wouldn't get a new one because they're way overpriced for what they are.

Edited by Franklin

28 minutes ago, Franklin said:

I think you can get them on the ali tripod but the photo head version is only available in Japan, I picked this up cheap from the auctions and although they're very compact and light and the slo-mo's work well, there is a compromise in stability, 2sec dampening time after focusing even at low power. On the other hand, scope, mount and tripod all fit in a daysack. I wouldn't get a new one because they're way overpriced for what they are.

I just looked at them on the AliExpress site, they are on average about $150 C +tax and shipping.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

It's great to have a 4x4 all terrain vehicle for those gap in the clouds grab and go opportunities 🤣 

Is it equiped with Warner Hubs on the front wheels to lock them up ?

• Like 1

I will be redefining what i consider grab and go just a bit.  Either one of these can be set up in minutes since they are both on carts.  I grab them and out to the observation site I go.  Last night it was the ten inch for a brief half hour session.  Compared to the 16 inch, the 10 inch is a lightweight set up

IMG_20221125_111907454.jpg

Edited by Mike Q

1 hour ago, Mike Q said:

I will be redefining what i consider grab and go just a bit.  Either one of these can be set up in minutes since they are both on carts.  I grab them and out to the observation site I go.  Last night it was the ten inch for a brief half hour session.  Compared to the 16 inch, the 10 inch is a lightweight set up

IMG_20221125_111907454.jpg

A die hard amateur! the cars know their place, outside 😂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

A die hard amateur! the cars know their place, outside 😂

This garage hasnt seen a car in it for at least 25 years.  Its my wood shop, telescope storage and general storage lol.  I really need to pull everything out of it and clean it out top to bottom. The benefit of the scopes living in the garage.... They are already cooled down and ready to go. 

Edited by Mike Q

7 hours ago, Sunshine said:

It's great to have a 4x4 all terrain vehicle for those gap in the clouds grab and go opportunities 🤣 

spacer.png

Inspired by classic British trials cars.  With its Torsen rear end, 1.6L of fury in the front end, and the weight of a half dozen apos and counterweights in the trunk it’s almost unstoppable.

Some observing sites require more commitment to reach than others.

3P0Kg3K.jpg

E7FBAD14-31DC-4EEF-8E2C-B60C9D605F01.thumb.jpeg.089e2ef47c1dc9415f1a4d69949e7df5.jpeg

Edited by Jim L
  • Like 9
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Jim L said:

spacer.png

Inspired by classic British trials cars.  With its Torsen rear end, 1.6L of fury in the front end, and the weight of a half dozen apos and counterweights in the trunk it’s almost unstoppable.

Some observing sites require more commitment to reach than others.

3P0Kg3K.jpg

E7FBAD14-31DC-4EEF-8E2C-B60C9D605F01.thumb.jpeg.089e2ef47c1dc9415f1a4d69949e7df5.jpeg

Show us those rear tires throwing up some mud rooster tails, with a bit of fish tailing, lol !

Here is my classic G&G that I never use, I have promised to give it to a fellow collector if he ever comes to North Bay, he lives about 1200 mi. away. Its a mid 1959 60mm Tasco Model 308, a forerunner of all the Tasco refractors that followed, it does put up some wonderful views, I converted it to take 1.25" eps in order to expand its capabilities.  PS:  Even though I don't collect scopes quite that old, when I saw it advertised on line for about $100 C I bought it to maybe save it from a fate of being in the hands of a non astronomer and possible destruction being used as a toy.  PPS:  I did the same with an early 60's Polaroscope, its going to the same fellow astronomer as this one.4A5D8674-4928-41CB-A4C0-63A32E6202D5.jpeg.76b336a66364e1a193d89aee2b4b2ae0.jpego

602E22F1-8E55-4A34-BE25-C797DEF5E699.jpeg.81cc31801d3d02d838ac4af690940de0.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 9

Photo of my new, wide field, low weight set up. Askar FRA 300 Pro on RST-135 mount. Scope only weights 2.2 kg and carbon tripod and head weight around 6 kg.

First photo, taken on 24th Feb, shows a wide field view of the Orion Nebula (stack of 54 30 second images with ASI 071 MC Pro camera, gain of 200, sensor cooled to 0 C, with UV/IR filter, and dark, bias, flat frames used for calibration). DSS used for stacking and combination of GraXpert and Nebulosity used for processing.

Looks like I'm going to enjoy this :)

PXL_20230225_141058759.jpg

M42 wide field 24 Feb 2023.jpg

Edited by iantaylor2uk
typo
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Judging by the size of some of these scopes we have a different definition of 'lightweight'!

To me lightweight would be something where you could pick up scope and mount with one hand.

Thats what I always thought and many other fellow astronomers as well on other forum sites !  But this disagreement has been going on for a long time by those that don't own a small lite weight scope, they think 15-20 lb is lite weight (g&g), out of necessity.

Edited by LDW1

4 hours ago, iantaylor2uk said:

Photo of my new, wide field, low weight set up. Askar FRA 300 Pro on RST-135 mount. Scope only weights 2.2 kg and carbon tripod and head weight around 6 kg.

First photo, taken on 24th Feb, shows a wide field view of the Orion Nebula (stack of 54 30 second images with ASI 071 MC Pro camera, gain of 200, sensor cooled to 0 C, with UV/IR filter, and dark, bias, flat frames used for calibration). DSS used for stacking and combination of GraXpert and Nebulosity used for processing.

Looks like I'm going to enjoy this :)

PXL_20230225_141058759.jpg

M42 wide field 24 Feb 2023.jpg

Beautiful image Ian. How are you finding the RST-135?

47 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Beautiful image Ian. How are you finding the RST-135?

Really like the RST mount, goto is good and guiding is low with total RMS is 0.7" or lower depending on how good polar alignment is. Have used my Tak TSA 102 on the mount with no counterweights and it has been fine. Just wanted a lower focal length scope to complement it.

• Thanks 1

My baby Skywatcher Mak 90 on Horizon tripod with an AZT6 mount (equivalent). Nice and easy to g&g when the skies clear(which they are not doing right now...) 

Toying with the idea of a Celestron C5 to get me more light whilst keeping the focal length down. Confused about the way they are being sold though; the C5 OTA I have seen from £570 in spotting scope guise, but seen at £450ish when partnered with starsense package. As far as I can tell the scope is the same specification but if anyone knows definitive20230226_174347.thumb.jpg.d786397a7f02946dbd8a677c9aa9278a.jpgly and can advise I would be grateful (even if my wallet may not be)! 

• Like 2

My empty tube has just gained a huge upgrade. I finally received my Geoptik EQ6 tripod to EQ5 mount adapter.

My imaging rig is on the right. On the left the simple clean lines of my 5” newt AZ5 on the left over EQ5 tripod and the wobble difference is amazing.

Sorry #Mr Spock, it is a lot more grab now and a bit less go but it is my gng setup.

MarvF2C472D6-A225-4EEC-8D4D-8BC63C10FD5D.thumb.jpeg.d12dbdcc9f3f7776b52d4fa53f8be427.jpeg

• Like 2