SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My First Shot At Pleiades!

wesdon1

Hi all. here's my first ever shot at M45 / Pleiades open star cluster. I only managed 41 minutes total integration, and I'm still learning how to drag out finer details in PP, but I'm fairly pleased with result. One side note, it appears that I'm picking up some kind of wider red coloured nebulosity?? Or is that just my rubbish processing highlighting image artefacts!? Next time, I will go for at least 90 minutes total integration to try get as much of the beautiful blue coloured nebulosity you see in really good M45 images.

* I have included two versions of exact same data/image, because I couldn't make up my mind on which one I liked best! lol.

Camera - Canon EOS Rebel T3i

Mount - SW HEQ5 Pro

Filter - Optolong L-PRO

'Scope - ALTAIR 66/400 ED Apo

Power Supply - SW 7AH Power Box

Lights - 41 x 60sec

Darks - 10 x 60sec

Flats - 20 x 5sec

Bias - 20 x 1/4000

image.thumb.png.a09a7e30ed66c1ab68d01f2749780682.png

pleiades.processed.3.png

Edited by wesdon1
forgot to add second version
  • Like 1

Decent, your tracking looks fairly okay. The red (and green) is being caused by the Lpro, it happens with all the optolongs to a degree (lenhance, lextreme) and unless if you have perfect flats, some of the colour still remains. Any stray light hitting the objective will make it worse.

Don't use the Lpro for such a target as you need the full RGB signal coming through and it will cut out some of it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PeterCPC said:

Can you not get longer exposures? You will only see the blue nebulosity with much longer subs.

Or take a multiplication factor more total subs, photons will hit the sensor regardless of single sub exposure times, the total stacking time is what matters.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Can you not get longer exposures? You will only see the blue nebulosity with much longer subs.

@PeterCPC Yes I am planning to move into longer guided subs during my next outing Pete'. Hopefully with longer subs and more total integration, plus improving my knowledge of PP, I will then hopefully start to produce much finer images.

21 hours ago, Elp said:

Or take a multiplication factor more total subs, photons will hit the sensor regardless of single sub exposure times, the total stacking time is what matters.

@Elp yes Elp I am planning to start doing longer subs with guiding, and a lot more total integration time. My PP also needs lots of work, but I know that will all come with experience. It's just frustrating because I'm desperate to start producing works as good as what I see on here most days! 

21 hours ago, Elp said:

Decent, your tracking looks fairly okay. The red (and green) is being caused by the Lpro, it happens with all the optolongs to a degree (lenhance, lextreme) and unless if you have perfect flats, some of the colour still remains. Any stray light hitting the objective will make it worse.

Don't use the Lpro for such a target as you need the full RGB signal coming through and it will cut out some of it.

@Elp Thanks Elp, I have been wondering how to deal with that colour casting better, and what you say about flats makes a lot of sense. I will try that out for my next sessions, thanks mate!