SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece help

Hi all, I'm returning to star gazing after about 12 years or something like that. I'm having difficulty remembering what I learned (which wasn't much compared to you guys) first time round.

Anyway, I need some help with a new eyepiece. I'm using a 12" Dobsonian. I want to start some planetary observations with my son. I've done some research and I belive I should buy a Orthoscopic eyepiece.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

If you don't need long eye relief, the new Svbony 3-8mm zoom eyepiece is excellent from 5-8mm and very good from 3-5mm.

However, I'd start with a decent mid-power wide field in the 12mm to 16mm range.  There are a lot of good options depending on your budget.

17 hours ago, Louis D said:

If you don't need long eye relief, the new Svbony 3-8mm zoom eyepiece is excellent from 5-8mm and very good from 3-5mm.

However, I'd start with a decent mid-power wide field in the 12mm to 16mm range.  There are a lot of good options depending on your budget.

Budget is around £150

One of my favourites at the moment with the 12" Dob is the 7mm Nirvana. On mine it gives x217 which is perfect on most occasions. I can just stand there for hours with that combination.

When I don't want the wide expanse and need to eek out the finest detail, I switch to orthos. I do have a 7mm Circle-T, which is excellent, but I prefer to use longer focal lengths with a x2.5 Powermate. I get x211 with the 18mm, x304 with the 12.5mm, and x422 with the 9mm. The last two obviously when seeing conditions are perfect. I also have an EQ platform which makes a difference when using high power, narrow FOV eyepieces. If you are a nudger, that's something to consider.

• Like 1

If you are happy with the 45 degree or so field of an Ortho I can thoroughly recommend the Baader Classic Ortho range - the 18mm and 10mm in particular are superbly crisp and contrasty, the 6mm has tight eye relief but I’ve found great for high Mag doubles and planetary work on those rare nights of special seeing. 
They are also I reckon the best value astro items per quality that I’ve picked up - £54 each on @FLO right now.  
I bought them as a lightweight minimum glass solution to use in my old classic refractors but have found myself reaching for them time and again with my Mak 127 and 10” Dob. 

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 2

I'm using one of these https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/astro-essentials-variable-polarising-moon-filter.html It says moon filter but it works well on planets.

It's cheap, but works perfectly. I had some outstanding views of Venus a few days ago thanks to this filter. Venus in a 12" is way too bright even in twilight, and this did the job perfectly. I was able to turn down the brightness until it was comfortable and some cloud detail came out.

• Like 2

On 19/02/2023 at 11:06, Ricochet said:

How old is your son? Is he capable of moving the telescope by himself to track an object? If not going for something with a much wider field than an ortho, like @Mr Spock’s suggestion of a nirvana would be a much better choice.

Hes just turned 9. Ive got a goto system.

I agree with @SuburbanMak that Baader Orthoscopics are a good place to start. You could also consider the BST starguider eyepieces https://www.365astronomy.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=146_244 - they give a wider field of view and are more comfortable to use than Orthos, and fit a reasonable budget. I got along very happily with them for a while, but moved on to more expensive eyepieces that dealt better with coma at the edge of the field (not a problem for planets). If you are also looking at filters, I'd recommend a Baader Neodymium - expensive but in my opinion really improves the contrast on planets. On the expense side, I'd recommend checking out sites like UK Astro Buy and Sell, as well as the forums here for second hand gear.

What magnification to go for depends on the seeing you expect to have -  seeing is the limiting factor for planetary work. I usually observe from a city location in the evening before midnight - it's exceptional for my 10" dob to give useful magnification on planets beyond about x170 (i.e. a 7mm focal length eyepiece). A few times a year the seeing is better at that time and I might get down to 5mm or even 4mm. On the rare occasions I've been out at 4am, the seeing is better - but my productivity at work that day is pretty rubbish!

Edited by Giles_B
  • Like 2