SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Markarian's Chain in the RASA 8.

ollypenrice

Very impressive Olly.

The lenticulars show possibly brown dust filaments in their outer edges, which Hubble images don't indicate, but on closer inspection the Hubble images just show the cores of the galaxies and the outer areas are not in the frame, so the brown bits are likely real and not artifacts. 🙂

Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, symmetal said:

Very impressive Olly.

The lenticulars show possibly brown dust filaments in their outer edges, which Hubble images don't indicate, but on closer inspection the Hubble images just show the cores of the galaxies and the outer areas are not in the frame, so the brown bits are likely real and not artifacts. 🙂

Alan

I've imaged this region at least three times and those curious edges are there every time - and always in the same form. I do believe them but don't know the astrophysics to explain them.

Olly

• Like 1

Outstanding! I needed a 4 panel mosaic with the Esprit150/IMX571OSC  to get this FOV and I didn't get anything like the intensity of colour. What was your integration time? I zoomed in on M87 to see if you have a hint of the plasma jet which would have been outrageous with an F2 scope but I couldn't see it so that has restored my faith in optical theory to some extent.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, tomato said:

Outstanding! I needed a 4 panel mosaic with the Esprit150/IMX571OSC  to get this FOV and I didn't get anything like the intensity of colour. What was your integration time? I zoomed in on M87 to see if you have a hint of the plasma jet which would have been outrageous with an F2 scope but I couldn't see it so that has restored my faith in optical theory to some extent.

Three hours integration. Nuts!

:grin:lly

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tomato said:

By the way, I seem to think that Paul calculated the width of the plasma jet as being about 2 pixels wide in this rig. :D

Olly 

11 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

By the way, I seem to think that Paul calculated the width of the plasma jet as being about 2 pixels wide in this rig. :D

Olly 

It would indeed be a challenge with the RASA. The light gathering capability of the system could also be counter productive, on my Esprit150/Asi178 set up, it was much easier to see on a single 3 min sub rather than the 72 min stack.

2C33E4B5-B65F-4326-AB31-3AADC85C2ADD.jpeg.ae409c3f6c493e046a905e7ed302488f.jpeg

BBFA5B00-45E4-4D72-BAB2-82E013DE2040.thumb.jpeg.0acb9b7fef2bfe2db1b55177db5dda6b.jpeg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, old_eyes said:

Gotta love those RASAs! Super image Olly. I looked at a widefield of my own. Not in the same league for signal-to-noise and colour.

Be aware, though, that getting the colour on this was like getting blood out of a stone. I used multiple iterations of every trick I know.

Olly

• Like 1

That's an interesting and for me, a reassuring comment. After viewing your and Paul's image I revisited my Markarian's Chain mosaic and applied the XT suite of  tools to it. I was able to improve the colour although still short of your result. I then realised each panel was just 2 hrs integration from my Bortle 5/6 location so I think I should be satisfied with the result, there is only so much blood you can squeeze out of a stone.

• Like 1