SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Neptune close to Venus - just now

Nyctimene

• Stu changed the title to Neptune close to Venus - just now

Thank you very much for the heads up Stephan 👍

I was going to take a break from observing tonight but clear sky plus your "heads up " on this conjunction of Venus and Neptune persuaded me to get a scope out.

Sure enough, Neptune was around 1/4 of a degree from Venus and just about visible in the twilight sky at 191x with my 100mm refractor. My 4.7mm eyepiece is one of those very wide field ones so I was able to squeeze the two planets into the same field of view.

Not far away Jupiter was bright so I had a look at that as well then onto Mars (it's disk is a little smaller than Venus now, around 9 arc seconds).

To round off this quick solar system tour I managed to find Uranus in Aries and the comet in Taurus.

Worth the pre-supper effort I reckon and motivation to post this little report here after rather a barren spell from me 😀

Thanks again !

• Like 8

Spotted the conjunction under unfavourable conditions - high clouds and haze coming up. With the 8" f/4 Hofheim traveldob and the Docter 12.5 mmf, Neptune was just visible as a tiny spot at the limit of vision at 19.00 CET, vanishing in the clouds soon after. NELM just 4.0 mag thirty minutes later. Comforted by a short look at Jupiter, and M42.

Stephan

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, John said:

Thank you very much for the heads up Stephan 👍

I was going to take a break from observing tonight but clear sky plus your "heads up " on this conjunction of Venus and Neptune persuaded me to get a scope out.

Sure enough, Neptune was around 1/4 of a degree from Venus and just about visible in the twilight sky at 191x with my 100mm refractor. My 4.7mm eyepiece is one of those very wide field ones so I was able to squeeze the two planets into the same field of view.

Not far away Jupiter was bright so I had a look at that as well then onto Mars (it's disk is a little smaller than Venus now, around 9 arc seconds).

To round off this quick solar system tour I managed to find Uranus in Aries and the comet in Taurus.

Worth the pre-supper effort I reckon and motivation to post this little report here after rather a barren spell from me 😀

Thanks again !

Good to see you back posting at SGL. Your valuable experience has greatly been missed.

• Like 2