SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Monkey Head Nebula

Paul Holdsworth

Hi all, here's my effort on the monkey head nebula NGC2174. This is just over six hours of five min subs stacked in APP , processed in pixinsight and finished off in photoshop. I used the advanced sharpening script in pixinsight for the first time which I think does make a slight difference especially in the core. It's probably a bit less aggressive than the unsharp mask tool I'd previously used in my opinion. 

Cheers Paul

Monkey Head BXT Final (1 of 1).jpg

• Like 7

That's a striking image Paul, well done!

re sharpening.  Have you thought about Russ Croman's BlurXterminator, it is a fabulous sharpening tool based around deconvolution.  I've also really like the traditional unsharp mask in PS.  It gives you shed loads of control especially when used with masks.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Martin . Sorry  I've only just seen your comment you left a while ago. Yes I did use Russ Croman's Blur Ext which I agree is superb and also advanced sharpening too just before bringing the stars back. For me at the moment one at the start of the processing and one at the end is the sharpening processes I've settled on for now. I'll certainly take a look at your suggestion though and thanks again for leaving a comment.

Cheers Paul 

• Like 1