Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Book Progression

Littleguy80

I’ve spent the last few evenings going through my copy of The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders. I started out, like many of us do, with a copy of Turn Left at Orion. It was such a great introduction to astronomy that I wanted something similar as a next step. The Astro Wonders book has fit that gap perfectly. It has a nice guide to observing and equipment at the start. The rest of the book is a constellation by constellation guide to some of the best objects to see. 

As part of my reread of this book, I’ve been checking to see which of the objects I’ve seen. In short, beyond a handful, I’ve seen them all! It just amazes me that I’ve managed to see so much over the past few years. I got my first telescope for Christmas in 2016. Last summer, I finally completed the Messiers on a holiday to the States which allowed me to get some of those low down tricky ones. 

At this point, I’m ready to let the Astro Wonders book find a new home. I’m not sure if I need something to take its place. I’m pretty good at filling my time under the stars. Revisits to familiar objects can be rewarding and reveal new details. However, I would be interested to hear if other observers still use books for inspiration and what the favourites are?A63D1970-A78C-4382-AC06-EB88951D5539.thumb.jpeg.3f8c6a559ebe308e1f89a1660f7024e5.jpeg

• Like 3

I still check out books for ideas of what to look at and when I come in form a session to understand something I was looking at. Probably the most common combination is the Cambridge Double Star Atlas which I refer to to help learn and remember where things are in the sky (it covers the main DSOs as well as doubles) and I'll read up in O'Meara's books on DSOs, pretty much all of the DSOs I observe will be in one of his books.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paz said:

I still check out books for ideas of what to look at and when I come in form a session to understand something I was looking at. Probably the most common combination is the Cambridge Double Star Atlas which I refer to to help learn and remember where things are in the sky (it covers the main DSOs as well as doubles) and I'll read up in O'Meara's books on DSOs, pretty much all of the DSOs I observe will be in one of his books.

I’d completely forgotten about O’Meara’s books. Is there one is particular you go to do for DSO’s? Do they go beyond the common/well known DSO’s?

I mostly refer to the Messier objects and Caldwell objects books as I don't often go far off the beaten path when it comes to dsos, but The Secret Deep and Hidden Treasures cover a lot more ground. The other set I refer to all the time are Burnhams Celestial Handbooks.

20230221_224936.thumb.jpg.8311da6ca7704f431e0c3a967253baaf.jpg

20230221_225714.thumb.jpg.7e2896692314cee2ed8a322356ed3401.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1