Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nina / EQmod issues

chubster1302

Trying to connect the mount, EQ5 Pro Goto to Nina but keep getting "Telescope connection lost!" messages. 

Im using a Startech USB2004EXTV extender and that shows a solid connection. Its listed in my Device Manager as USB Serial port COM3. I can confirm this as it disappears from device manager when i unplug it. I've set the bits per second and baud rate so that they match (following advice from youtube) in both device manager and EQMOD but when i try to connect i get the timed out message in NINA. 

Ive set the com port to com3 manually in EQMod, as an aside, when i click the binoculars next to port in eqmod it searches and reports nothing found, so assuming the issue is there somewhere ? 

Any help muchly appreciated 

device manager.png

EQMOD Setup.png

Nina.png

Do you use an EQMOD cable, or does you mount have a USB port on the panel, and are you using that, if you are using an EQMOD cable, then the baud rate is wrong and should be 9600 max…it’s correct for a direct USB connection, but won’t hurt to try 9600 anyway…👍🏻

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Do you use an EQMOD cable, or does you mount have a USB port on the panel, and are you using that, if you are using an EQMOD cable, then the baud rate is wrong and should be 9600 max…it’s correct for a direct USB connection, but won’t hurt to try 9600 anyway…👍🏻

Im currently using EQMOD cable, so i should set that to 9600 in both places ?

33 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Perfect, thanks Stuart, that seems to have got me up and running, but why am i seeing 115200 as the baud rate on lots of youtube vids ? 

1 hour ago, chubster1302 said:

Perfect, thanks Stuart, that seems to have got me up and running, but why am i seeing 115200 as the baud rate on lots of youtube vids ? 

Because that for the more modern mounts with built in USB ports that work at a faster rate…..so people assume it’s the same for all…and it’s not, when you are converting USB to serial commands over a converter like the one in EQMOD cables it works at a much slower rate, and that all it needs to be, no need for any faster…👍🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chubster1302 said:

I covered this in your other thread earlier.... I'll elaborate 

Basically the handset when used communicates with the synscan unit  using TTL serial (ie 5volts) at 9600 baud rate.  On synscan units (external such as the EQ3 or EQ5, or mounts such as the HEQ5 and EQ6) that lack a USB port the handset port is connected directly to the microcontrollers (PIC16F886's) serial port pins.  These micro controllers have built in TTL serial ports the speed of which is set in the firmware to 9600.   So when using an EQDIR cable that replaces the handset and thus connects via the handset port it needs to be set to 9600 baud rate in order to communicate.

On synscan units and newer mounts that have the USB-B type socket the USB to TTL serial conversion is done by a Prolific 2303 type chip on the same synscan board, which then connects to the RS232 TTL port pins of the ARM processor.  The firmware running on these new processors uses 115200 baud rate.  Therefore when connecting a new mount via USB you need to change the ports speed via the com port properties.  This may also be required when setting up EQMOD via the EQASCOM toolbox, and possibly in NINA too when pointing its settings to use EQMOD as the driver...  You want all application, driver and device properties singing from the same hymn sheet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, malc-c said:

I covered this in your other thread earlier.... I'll elaborate 

Basically the handset when used communicates with the synscan unit  using TTL serial (ie 5volts) at 9600 baud rate.  On synscan units (external such as the EQ3 or EQ5, or mounts such as the HEQ5 and EQ6) that lack a USB port the handset port is connected directly to the microcontrollers (PIC16F886's) serial port pins.  These micro controllers have built in TTL serial ports the speed of which is set in the firmware to 9600.   So when using an EQDIR cable that replaces the handset and thus connects via the handset port it needs to be set to 9600 baud rate in order to communicate.

On synscan units and newer mounts that have the USB-B type socket the USB to TTL serial conversion is done by a Prolific 2303 type chip on the same synscan board, which then connects to the RS232 TTL port pins of the ARM processor.  The firmware running on these new processors uses 115200 baud rate.  Therefore when connecting a new mount via USB you need to change the ports speed via the com port properties.  This may also be required when setting up EQMOD via the EQASCOM toolbox, and possibly in NINA too when pointing its settings to use EQMOD as the driver...  You want all application, driver and device properties singing from the same hymn sheet.

Damn, you did indeed amd I remember reading it....then I must have started fiddling, ran into a problem and promptly forgot everything you had said.  Gives myself a slap. Cheers Malcom 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, chubster1302 said:

Damn, you did indeed amd I remember reading it....then I must have started fiddling, ran into a problem and promptly forgot everything you had said.  Gives myself a slap. Cheers Malcom 

No worries.... just wondered why there were two threads running for the same question...