Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PIPP and it's uses

Hello.

I have some Fits and I was looking to sharpen them up pre stacking.

They are comet fits so was just looking to brighten it a bit to help with DSS picking up the comet.

Am I taking a sensible approach or am I entirely looking in the wrong direction. 

Does anyone have an alternative (not Siril) option if PIPP isn't a good idea?

cheers

steve

On 20/02/2023 at 23:09, bomberbaz said:

I was thinkiing for use with stacking comet pics and the auto detect function in DSS. It isn't picking the comet up so wants me to align (manually) 80 frames, thought if I gave it a tweak it might be able to pick it up.

Hmm...not familiar with DSS. But I did manage to stack the comet using Siril (I know you said you were looking at an alternative other than Siril) and it works fine.  This was I think 70 x 10sec exposures

CometC2022E3ZTF.thumb.jpeg.024586c48668dca1e5206896e6da04ee.jpeg

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

DSS after registering mark the comet on the first and last frame and the reference frame.

Siril and ASTAP you have to mark the comet on all frames

Do you have the walkthrough on this method, the one I read seemed at odds with what your saying.

There is a mistake in what I wrote above re siril, I've corrected my original post

I had found it mentioned online somewhere re DSS and gave it a go. DSS with my data does better on comet and stars option. I also marked all 307 frames and not seeing a big difference compared to the three frames comet marked. I do choose a reference frame with the clearest space on the comet head as I think it might help with processing later.

What i did, once registered and whittled any poor frames out and date/time sorted the list I select the first frame and it opens. On the right panel on the image select the green comet icon. Using mouse wheel  zoom in and pick the comet head (the comet shows enough I can pick it out (use shift key if need to free move the mouse)) a purple circle marks the comet, select save. Repeat for the last frame and then do the same for the frame being used as the reference frame. I chose a reference frame around the middle of the list with clear starless space around the comet head. With my camera flats work best anything else gets noisier for me. Sigma clipping on the lights and comet and stars for the comet stacking mode. 

I'm not happy yet with my processing but I'm working with challenging data as I'm using an altaz mount and a noisy camera.

There's been lots of great comet images shared using different processing methods. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

There is a mistake in what I wrote above re siril, I've corrected my original post

I had found it mentioned online somewhere re DSS and gave it a go. DSS with my data does better on comet and stars option. I also marked all 307 frames and not seeing a big difference compared to the three frames comet marked. I do choose a reference frame with the clearest space on the comet head as I think it might help with processing later.

What i did, once registered and whittled any poor frames out and date/time sorted the list I select the first frame and it opens. On the right panel on the image select the green comet icon. Using mouse wheel  zoom in and pick the comet head (the comet shows enough I can pick it out (use shift key if need to free move the mouse)) a purple circle marks the comet, select save. Repeat for the last frame and then do the same for the frame being used as the reference frame. I chose a reference frame around the middle of the list with clear starless space around the comet head. With my camera flats work best anything else gets noisier for me. Sigma clipping on the lights and comet and stars for the comet stacking mode. 

I'm not happy yet with my processing but I'm working with challenging data as I'm using an altaz mount and a noisy camera.

There's been lots of great comet images shared using different processing methods. 

Thanks for the reply, I think, given my last go this should be very helpful. I will let you know.

It might be  a few days as tomorrow my techy guy is installing a new 8TB hard drive. (Should future proof me for a few years at least. )

Edited by bomberbaz