Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cone Nebula, A bit of an experiment with RGB stars.

simmo39

Hi all, I have been getting a bit of data on the Cone Nebula over last few clearish nights and after do a bit of processing in PI I thought the stars looked, well to harsh. Last night I went out and did a bit of data collection without any filter ( I have been using an Optalong extreme filter ) to see if I could make the stars a little better. Im not sure if I have done what I set out to achieve but I have had enough for today so here they are. I did one in HOO and the other in a false SHO. They are a little rough but I do like the false SHO image. Taken with my Askar 400 and ASI 2600mc.

52689062769_a4677dd6d3_b.jpg

52688269177_3f9fdff71e_b.jpg

Hints, tips and CC most welcome.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

You've got a lot of nice detail and the stars look OK to me.  So to some extent it is down to aesthetics and personal preference. I like the amount of reflection nebulosity the SHO rendition has produced but much prefer the red colour of the HOO. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MartinB said:

You've got a lot of nice detail and the stars look OK to me.  So to some extent it is down to aesthetics and personal preference. I like the amount of reflection nebulosity the SHO rendition has produced but much prefer the red colour of the HOO. 

Thank you, I think im getting lazy. I have a mono camera and filtes and could do a proper SHO image but for me the ease of the colour camera and playing around with the image is a little easier especially with the limited time we get to take subs.

I like both. When I replace stars I find it advantageous to give them a slight Gaussian blur (about 0.5 in Photoshop money) to help them look less harsh. Also, I sometimes try applying them at a tad less than full opacity. Again, this helps settle them into the image.

Olly

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jjohnson3803 said:

I vote for HOO.  

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I like both. When I replace stars I find it advantageous to give them a slight Gaussian blur (about 0.5 in Photoshop money) to help them look less harsh. Also, I sometimes try applying them at a tad less than full opacity. Again, this helps settle them into the image.

Olly

thanks for the tip, Im afraid Im a PI user  ( can give it up anytime, honest )so will have to find the equivalents.

• Haha 1