SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Trip to RVO yesterday, ended up with this....

Yesterday I made the trip to Rother Valley Optics for the first time, I recently acquired a mak for planetary viewing so that's covered, but because I can see myself moving into astrophotography one day I thought I'd look for an ED small refractor.

I did try a small refractor I bought of a fellow member recently and I did like the convenience and quality, albeit non ED, so I sold it to concentrate on planetary viewing.

But while at RVO I really got to like this scope after having a look and feel, and although I didn't want to spend at the moment I couldn't leave it there ๐Ÿ˜ญ.

It comes with zygo report, I don't know much about them, but the bloke said it was a good one with strahl of 0.985. I took his word for it.๐Ÿ‘.

I also purchased a descent William optics Di-electric diagonal.

Just need some better eyepieces now.๐Ÿ˜ข

Anyway last night it was First light on the day I bought it, that doesn't happen often as you all know.

The main target was Jupiter, I stated with a 10mm 43x and it was a joy, razer sharp and no false colour, bands were clearly visible and nice points of light were Jupiter's moons.

Moved to a 6mm baader 72x still the same, more detail, razer sharp and no false colour, as expected really.

Then tried the 3.2 tmb planetary eyepiece, 135x, and it still showed perfect and razor sharp, more detail than I'd seen before, my wife came to have a look and she said "I can clearly see the two lines now"ย  she's struggled before in any other scope, but this little thing really does perform.

I know it could be conditions too, but I felt I could of pushed this little scope to 200x and it would of been good.

I'll have to get a descent Barlow to try it.๐Ÿ˜

Anyway I'm sure I'll have many a good time with this, portable on hols for visual and some astrophotography In the future.

Ignore my mount, it worked quiet well, but I need something more substantial when something comes up, I've only just got back into astronomy after a break of 10 years.

I'll get there....

PXL_20230213_164504549.jpg

PXL_20230213_164523318.jpg

PXL_20230213_164528748.jpg

PXL_20230213_164532144.jpg

PXL_20230214_122752047.jpg

PXL_20230213_172505413.MP.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, stafford_stargazer said:

Yesterday I made the trip to Rother Valley Optics for the first time, I recently acquired a mak for planetary viewing so that's covered, but because I can see myself moving into astrophotography one day I thought I'd look for an ED small refractor.

I did try a small refractor I bought of a fellow member recently and I did like the convenience and quality, albeit non ED, so I sold it to concentrate on planetary viewing.

But while at RVO I really got to like this scope after having a look and feel, and although I didn't want to spend at the moment I couldn't leave it there ๐Ÿ˜ญ.

It comes with zygo report, I don't know much about them, but the bloke said it was a good one with strahl of 0.985. I took his word for it.๐Ÿ‘.

I also purchased a descent William optics Di-electric diagonal.

Just need some better eyepieces now.๐Ÿ˜ข

Anyway last night it was First light on the day I bought it, that doesn't happen often as you all know.

The main target was Jupiter, I stated with a 10mm 43x and it was a joy, razer sharp and no false colour, bands were clearly visible and nice points of light were Jupiter's moons.

Moved to a 6mm baader 72x still the same, more detail, razer sharp and no false colour, as expected really.

Then tried the 3.2 tmb planetary eyepiece, 135x, and it still showed perfect and razor sharp, more detail than I'd seen before, my wife came to have a look and she said "I can clearly see the two lines now"ย  she's struggled before in any other scope, but this little thing really does perform.

I know it could be conditions too, but I felt I could of pushed this little scope to 200x and it would of been good.

I'll have to get a descent Barlow to try it.๐Ÿ˜

Anyway I'm sure I'll have many a good time with this, portable on hols for visual and some astrophotography In the future.

Ignore my mount, it worked quiet well, but I need something more substantial when something comes up, I've only just got back into astronomy after a break of 10 years.

I'll get there....

PXL_20230213_164504549.jpg

PXL_20230213_164523318.jpg

PXL_20230213_164528748.jpg

PXL_20230213_164532144.jpg

PXL_20230214_122752047.jpg

PXL_20230213_172505413.MP.jpg

Lovely scope with a nice report, its not all about Strehl though, its also important that PV is below 0.2 which it is in this case, although more important for imaging than it is for visual use.ย 

I like these RVO scopes much more than the WO equivalents, WO dont give you a report and WO don't use a colimatable lens cell., both important setting points.ย 

Adam

ย 

• Like 1

I recently bought an Astronomics AT72ED which looks very similar except for paint color(s).ย  They don't supply optical test results, but I'm loving the thing so far.ย  It's so portable that I fear my 102ED might be destined for the classified ads.ย ย ๐Ÿ˜‰

And BTW, those blue setting circles are quite stylish!ย  Seriously.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jjohnson3803 said:

I recently bought an Astronomics AT72ED which looks very similar except for paint color(s).ย  They don't supply optical test results, but I'm loving the thing so far.ย  It's so portable that I fear my 102ED might be destined for the classified ads.ย ย ๐Ÿ˜‰

And BTW, those blue setting circles are quite stylish!ย  Seriously.

Hi mateย 

Yes I've seen a couple which look identical but different paint jobs ๐Ÿ˜

I love the portability and the quality for the size is amazing.

Ummm 102ed....๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks on the blue setting circles ๐Ÿ‘