Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nina and EQ5 Goto Handset

chubster1302

50 minutes ago, chubster1302 said:

I have the cable, what does that plug into ?🤔

The RJ45 end plugs into the EQ5 control box, where the hand controller would normally go. 

Don't plug it into the autoguider RJ45 socket as that can cause issues. ;) 

• Like 1

Provided you have an EQDIR cable, you remove the handset cable from the synscan box and plug the EQDIR cable in its place.  The other end plugs into a USB port on the computer.  Depending on the OS you may or may not need to install a driver.  Under all operating systems the device is registered as a COM port.  By default the speed of the sysnscan serial port is 9600 baud, so it's worth checking in the properties that the speed of the com port has been set to the same.  You may also have to specify that in NINA (i don't sue NINA so have no idea).

If your synscan is one of the new versions with a USB type B socket then you don't need an EQDIR cable.  Use a standard USB A- B cable between the mount and PC.  However the comport it registers runs at 115200 baud so you will need to set the ports properties to match this speed (and possibly in NINA too ?)

Do NOT use a standard USB to SERIAL adaptor as a means to connect the PC to the synscan unit, you will end up damaging the unit.  However these days standard 9 pin serial ports are far and few between on modern PC's

• Like 1

Ok...Thanks all. So does this look right ? Just getting it sorted in my head before attaching everything.

I have a startech usb extender, in which i've plugged the eqmod cable, dlsr and guide cam. This then goes back to the host startech unit via cat6, then said host attaches to PC.

I assume the round cable, labelled 1, goes into the mount but where? R.A. In, Dec In, Dec Out ? 

I then have another identical cable, again where does this go.

"Logically" id assume cable from unit goes to R.A. In and the the other cable goes from Dec In to Dec out? 

20230214_134310 copy.jpg

spacer.png

The stock image shows how the synscan connections are daisy chained...  so yes the cable from the synscan goes to the RA IN port with the other lead from DEC out to DEC in.  And note which side the DEC motor is.

I also note that your synscan unit is one of the newer ones with built in USB, so there was no real need for the EQDir cable. But provided you connect the USB hub to your laptop / computer then yes everything would seem to be plugged into the right ports.  Personally I prefer to have the EQDir cable on its own direct connection to the PC rather than via a hub.

Also, when it comes to doing any alignments, this must be done using the computer and software.  You can't use the handset to do the alignment and then swap the leads over and start driving the mount via NINA / EQMOD or GSS etc. 

Edited by malc-c
  • Thanks 1

To be honest I doubt it.  The traffic between the PC and mount is not really demanding to make use of the faster transfer rate.  Also using the USB option  still converts the USB data into normal RS232 signals at TTL (5volts) which then get passed on to the ARM processor, just that the convertor chip is built into the synscan unit rather then in the cable.  One drawback is that the chipset they use is the Prolific 2303 which isn't supported natively by Windows due to licencing issues dating back to Windows 7 days.  If your EQDir cable is FTDI based then there should be no issues as the drivers for FTDI are already built into windows so its more or less plug and play.

I don't know the details as I've never used one but I do know that many people have issues with NINA when using Synscan and the advice is to remove it. Having said that I don't know if you can.... Just a heads up more than anything....