SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus during the Day 13/02/23

Venus from Southampton, taken during the day. Monday, 13th February 2023 at 13:52 UTC. Skywatcher 200p Dob on EQ platform using iPhone 14 pro. 

After viewing the sun, there are a great selection of sunspots at the moment, and after lunch at about 13:30pm I decided to have a look to see if I could locate Venus. Using the PushTo feature in the iPhone app PSAlign Pro I carefully moved the Dob in the direction of Venus. Solar filter and caps still on. When I’d lined up on Venus I removed the caps on the RACI and immediately I could easily make out the small dot of Venus. Solar filter removed and using a BST StarGuider 5mm I could easily see the phase of the planet, even some very, very subtle surface shading. Of course not much else in the way of features (that’s Venus) but still being relatively high in the sky seeing wasn’t too bad. 

After that I took a short video (stock camera app) using the iPhone 14 Pro. A few seconds of which were stacked using the iPhone app VideoStack. Then finished off using Lightroom. All done in a few minutes on the phone while sitting at the telescope. And I’m pleased with the results - you can clearly see the current phase of Venus.

I had planed to do some more viewing tonight but despite the favourable forecast I’m currently clouded in.

C2F2016B-9A43-434E-8076-35A42EE12C93.jpeg.44aee5f845b635bbbb2181e804e7c1ec.jpeg

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Kon said:

That's a great capture. I wonder being higher up has helped with the quality as it usually boils at late afternoon.

Thanks! I was surprised how well it turned out and without much effort - always a good sign.

I’m sure that being higher up helped. Visually it was the most steady view of Venus that I’ve had (not that I’ve looked at it a lot!). A little boiling but I was sure, maybe my imagination, that I could make out some very subtle colour variations on the surface. 

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 1