SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The one astro image that means the most to you.

Moonshed

I have a favourite astrophotography image that I prefer above all the rest. It’s not the best technically, it wasn’t difficult to take, it didn’t take an eye watering amount of cash for the camera or the gear. I just like it!

I like the way it shows the Montes Apenninus  curving down, in an almost 3D effect, to the crater Eratosthenes and the Sinus Aestuum. To my eye it looks very pleasing.

It was my first successful image, taken a few years ago, using an Orion Planetary camera that I paid the grand sum of £50 for. I loved that camera, so simple to use and it gave such good results for a budget camera.

So this is my favourite picture for all the reasons given. 
What is your favourite? Not the best, the most technically challenging etc, simply the one that for whatever reason, you love the most.

6260AF27-4DF0-439A-98FF-B2D28C6ABBA4.jpeg

• Like 5

2017  Total Solar from Continental Divide, USA...... my first .....   and I got a half decent shot as well .....nuff said

TotalityPScrop.thumb.jpg.139fc7552126a62327ad04d55e363964.jpg

Taken with Celestron C90 and Canon 600D.

Edited by Craney
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Craney said:

2017  Total Solar...... my first .....   and I got a half decent shot as well .....nuff said

Would love to have been in the right location where I could take a photo like that. 
Very nice image! What gear did you use?

Indeed.. Hairs on the back of the neck job.   I've just edited the post.  Celestron C90 and Canon 600D.    I have a pic of the set up.  Took the filter off for Totality.

.Eclipsesetup.thumb.jpg.471d42c5371fd5f6115bfcf8b1494082.jpg

Took a bit of planning and every digit crossed for the weather.... and it all worked out.

Edited by Craney
  • Like 1

I started getting into imaging with wide field milky way. I think this was my second camp trip out, after buying a 20mm 1.8G.

Very hot, dusty conditions, lots wrong, but I had a couple of friends do some impromptu posing with a remote trigger flash. We are indeed children of the starsMW2.jpg.efa148d2050b7ebfdbe3752e7bfcf676.thumb.jpg.36c9ae064196e4f27e9aafdd8a27f54d.jpg

• Like 10

I'm not an imager, so this is just a short time exposure with my iPhone.  It was taken last summer while camping in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  I grew up there, but hadn't been back for probably 15 years and only rarely before that.  It's not spectacular, but it reminds me of how dark the skies were when I was young with my 60mm Tasco / Sears refractor  If I had grown up in the light pollution garbage where I live now near Chicago, I doubt I would have developed any interest in astronomy.

Lyra, Hercules, and the head of Draco  are nicely visible as well as a small, sporadic meteor on the left edge of frame.  I also saw a spectacular fireball that night.

Lyra Hercules rs.jpg

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, inedible_hulk said:

Nice idea for a topic 😊

This image caught at the eyepiece (after much trial and error) on my iPhone, reminds me of why I bother sitting out in the cold. There’s nothing like some quiet time enjoying night sky 😊.

That’s a really nice photo, and taken with an iPhone at the eyepiece! Yes, I agree, you can’t beat the pleasure of star gazing.

• Thanks 1

I'm not much of an imager, but do wish to improve once i retire and have less commitments.

This was a from a memorable Lunar eclipse we had back in 2015, and i caught Lunar just a few minutes before it dipped into totality (Sony A7S-1, WO FLT132 at prime focus)

And once totality started all the stars came out and we had a really nice deep sky session !! One to remember ☺️

DSC01173

Edited by Space Hopper
  • Like 7