SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon eos 1100D

Moonshed

I use the Canon for some astrophotography work and also for regular family photos. I must have mucked up something in the settings because now on live view I have an annoying white rectangle appear on the screen. According to the manual it’s the Auto Focus area and it can be moved around as required using the buttons. That’s all well and good but I never had it before and to be honest I would rather not have it now. I have tried everything but it refuses to go away.

Anyone got any idea how to remove it?

Not familiar with that particular camera but...if AF is on, how else can you see and determine where it's intending to focus? Turning AF off will get rid of it (along with AF function, of course). On my 6D, in live-view, it's there with AF on and gone with no AF, which makes sense to me.

9 minutes ago, Franklin said:

In Live view function settings go to Grid Display and disable it.

Tried that but it made no difference apart from adding the grid as well, or not.

Thanks anyway, I will just have to get used to it.

24 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

Not familiar with that particular camera but...if AF is on, how else can you see and determine where it's intending to focus? Turning AF off will get rid of it (along with AF function, of course). On my 6D, in live-view, it's there with AF on and gone with no AF, which makes sense to me.

I used to have it set with a spread of focus rectangles evenly spaced around the centre,I think it took an average but not sure. The thing is though I never used to see the AF rectangle(s) before but now I do. However it’s no big deal I will just have to get used to it. 
Thanks for your reply.

This may or may not help. On my 6D, if I go into the "Live View" menu, then "AF method" and select "Live Mode" (it has a kind of smiley with an 'L' as the nose), then the AF-area rectangle appears only whilst half-pressing the shutter and otherwise goes away. I can also make it toggle on/off with the "Set" button in the same mode. Toggling it on also re-sets it to centre-screen.

EDIT: seems to be what @Franklin is saying, above.

Edited by wulfrun

22 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

This may or may not help. On my 6D, if I go into the "Live View" menu, then "AF method" and select "Live Mode" (it has a kind of smiley with an 'L' as the nose), then the AF-area rectangle appears only whilst half-pressing the shutter and otherwise goes away. I can also make it toggle on/off with the "Set" button in the same mode. Toggling it on also re-sets it to centre-screen.

EDIT: seems to be what @Franklin is saying, above.

Thank you but for some strange reason that does not make it go away on my camera. Everything works as it’s supposed to so it’s not a big deal, It just puzzles me though and I don’t like problems I can’t solve, even with help!

• Like 1