Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Coronado Solar Scope Opinions.

Hi all

I am looking to get into solar observing and from what I have been reading online, the Coronado scopes do not have a good reputation, has anyone experience with Coronado, I am thinking of the Solarmax III?  I am purely a visual observer and sketcher, no imaging.

Many thanks.

Paul

The PST is fine if you are going to use it occasionally but you have to do some research into the type to buy (later models). If you've got the money the Lunt's are hard to beat (but I personally couldn't justify the price myself as I would only use it occasionally). As Mike said above if you haven't already done it, white light observation with solar film is the cheapest and easiest cost of entry, but no where near as great as ha viewing.

Edited by Elp

Hi guys

I have observed in white light, now I want to go down the h-alpha route.  I am leaning towards the Lunt 50mm as it appears to have everything I am looking for.

Has anyone used the Lunt zoom eyepiece?

Paul

I’d recommend Lunt over Coronado too - Meade has been through a challenging few years. On average their etalons are not as consistent as Lunt’s, although there’s always variability with solar Ha, and Lunts are very expensive these days in Europe. Lunt 50 is an excellent little scope, though the focuser is poor. Finally, the Lunt zoom is a good eyepiece, though massively overpriced new - it’s a clone of a Chinese eyepiece that can be found elsewhere at a third of the price. For £250 or so, the Pentax XF zoom is far superior for solar Ha.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

~

I have a Lunt 60mm dedicated H-a scope, which provides magnificent views of solar activity. I can recommend their products.

Seen here from a recent post:

IMGP0697.thumb.JPG.9245b3a009f1b72abef8d2ba8af7f2f8.JPG

Good luck.

That opening in the parasol is a great idea. 

I'm another happy Lunt 50 owner. I agree with @Highburymark about the stock focuser, I upgraded mine to a feather touch and have never looked back despite the exorbitant price. That and the double stack unit are worth the upgrade costs. 

Eyepiece wise I now keep a set of 9, 6 and 4mm SLVs in the case rather than use a zoom. The 6mm is the eyepiece that gets the most use. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pbyrne said:

Hi guys

I have observed in white light, now I want to go down the h-alpha route.  I am leaning towards the Lunt 50mm as it appears to have everything I am looking for.

Has anyone used the Lunt zoom eyepiece?

Paul

I got this one I think it's the same as the Lunt (but cheaper):

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4651_TS-Optics-Premium-Zoom-Eyepiece--7-2-mm-to-21-5-mm---1-25-.html

It's pretty handy - performance drops at the 7mm end of the adjustable range, but ~9 -15mm is the range I use the most.

11 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

the stock focusser was a bit basic.

To the OP: I upgraded to the Moonlight option - highly recommended!  The stock helical focusser is usable, but the fine dual speed control of the Lunt is just what you want to pull out those crisp fine line details 😎