Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clueless (accidental?) beginner

Hello!

I have recently obtained a rather old looking telescope, as the better half’s auntie has started sorting through her late husbands hobby room.

It says prinz optics model 500r on the eyepiece. I have attached an image, I can add more of the actual scope shortly it seems to be in pretty good condition given its age.

I have always been tempted to grab a scope, so It just feels right to try and get some use out of it.

Any pointers or tips on what I should be checking for position/condition wise on the telescope would be greatly appreciated. As although visually it’s in good condition, I have not got the faintest idea on what I’m looking at.

Thanks

6A480D87-6AFC-4B19-A2C7-7603B595FBD7.jpeg

The primary mirror seems reasonably clean, is there any risk to taking out the secondary mirror to check it?

Just noticed the instruction manual down the tube, interesting place to keep them.

I understand this is probably uninteresting stuff but It would be nice to see it used again before I go looking for something more useable.

Here are some images.

6F2B2FED-51A9-4B24-B87B-8D95DF09D7FE.jpeg

2B3F5098-7D67-4D9B-9EAA-0704A6EF87D8.jpeg

C68B6ECC-7A9F-42A1-BEC9-3215E5D1632E.jpeg

16B17E8F-9F2E-46FB-89AB-D2DC5FC425F9.jpeg

I started out with one of those. If the mirrors are in good condition then the slow focal ratio means you can easily collimate it with minimal home made tools. On mine the primary collimation screws were actually missing but some metric screws and spring washers did the trick. It uses an equatorial mount so check that the counterweight is there and have a look on YouTube for a video on balancing an equatorial mount. Check that the focuser and slow motion controls work smoothly. There is limited travel on the dec slow motion worm so you will need to loosen the clutch and re-centre it for each new object. The biggest issue that you will probably encounter is that it uses the old 0.965" eyepiece standard. If you don't have the originals then replacements are limited to a single set of new low quality eyepieces or expensive vintage eyepieces if and when they appear on the second hand market. Its best use is probably as a test to decide it you enjoy astronomy enough to invest in a new model. 

• Like 1

Just seen your new post and photos. No, don't take the secondary out. The problem you have is that the counterweight and shaft are missing so you need to find those. The shaft is a chromed rod and the weight is the same black as the offer black parts on the telescope.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

The problem you have is that the counterweight and shaft are missing so you need to find those. The shaft is a chromed rod and the weight is the same black as the offer black parts on the telescope.

Yea, the room is still being cleared I am yet to stumble across the counterweights/shaft - hopefully they show up.

52 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Its best use is probably as a test to decide it you enjoy astronomy enough to invest in a new model. 

This was kind of my thoughts, I have toyed with the idea of buying a telescope for years, so if this helps push me over the hill then it has at least served some purpose.