Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M100 mystery object - any ideas?

Neil_104

So to find the various other objects scattered around my images, I usually trawl through numerous annotated Astrobin images until I fill in all the blanks. But there's a mystery object in my image of M100 that I've not been able to identify yet. It definitely looks non-stellar to me.

Does anyone know what this is at the end of the red arrow?? 🤔

M100 C6 f6_3 160x90s UVIR - Mystery object.jpg

Edited by Neil_104

3 minutes ago, Elp said:

Out of interest what are the best systems for finding really out there objects, irregular galaxies etc?

Pretty sure SIMBAD is the place to go. I couldn’t work out how to label up the galaxies nearby ones I knew the identity of though, obviously @vlaiv knows the secret 👍

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Pretty sure SIMBAD is the place to go. I couldn’t work out how to label up the galaxies nearby ones I knew the identity of though, obviously @vlaiv knows the secret 👍

I went to Aladin lite and found M100 and turned on labels - there is control to the right to select Catalogue

image.png.3dde4cd5d93627b4448dcb752289d406.png

Then select target and get info:

image.png.840419d012ed3b67802af67a7545ec84.png

• Thanks 3