Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone use sack truck for 14" DOB?

I'm considering the pitfalls of owning a 14" SW Flextube DOB and wondered if a sack truck would be able to handle one given the base is 31" wide and sack trucks I've seen below £100 don't look that wide. Usually the toe plate is about 12 to 15" wide which looks rather unstable even if a wider plate was attached would the wheel base be wide enough?

Anyone using a sack truck for such a beast?

12 hours ago, aspdrive said:

I transport my assembled 350 flextube on a sack truck only if it's necessary, primarily as it looks rather wobbly. I do move the OTA and mount separately by trolley though.

Adam.

Do you think the wheel base is too narrow on the sack truck or is it the toe plate width thats making it unstable?

Back in the days when I had a 18" Dob built out of wood, so rather heavy, I had a friend build a trolley out of box-section steel and four heavy duty caster wheels. It had wheelbarrow-style handles at each end.  Cost me well under £100 but that was around 35 years ago.

You may wish to investigate something similar.

• Like 1

I've used a push style golf bag trolley to transport my C14, using the trolley straps, plus some extra bungee straps to hold the OTA it in place. The broad wheels handle rough ground well if moving over a field, etc. and pushing is easier than pulling and easier to keep an eye on the load. I still needed to take it easy, i.e. slow pace, but it's doable.....

• Like 1

Thanks Xilman & Geof for those ideas.

I think inflatable wheels are key as I'll need to go across grass and the odd bump. This truck looks good so may get it and try with my 10" Dob. We need a good truck on the farm anway and this will be able to shift very heavy stuff :

https://www.sacktrucks.co.uk/cst990-folding-toe-sack-truck-heavy-duty-250kg-capacity/

Edited by Space Cowboy
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thanks Xilman & Geof for those ideas.

I think inflatable wheels are key as I'll need to go across grass and the odd bump. This truck looks good so may get it and try with my 10" Dob. We need a good truck on the farm anway and this will be able to shift very heavy stuff :

https://www.sacktrucks.co.uk/cst990-folding-toe-sack-truck-heavy-duty-250kg-capacity/

Yeah that will be able to handle the weight but will you be able to get that extended part under it. It looks pretty hefty and thick. 

1 hour ago, Mike Q said:

Yeah that will be able to handle the weight but will you be able to get that extended part under it. It looks pretty hefty and thick. 

That's a good point Mike.  I don't know  if the feet on the 14" DOB will be higher than my current 10". 

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I've used a sack truck to move a large SCT. I had it mounted permanently on a palette under which I could roll the platform of the truck. I then had a 'safety belt' round it higher up. Very simple and effective.

Olly

Thanks Olly that sounds a good method.

• Like 1

I use a sack truck to move my 18" dobsonian but it has a metal base that allows me to get the sack truck between the base and mirror assembly,  I pick the up the scope on the truck and lift if onto the floor, it balances fine even with the tube fully assembled so I then move the base to where I want it and then use the sack truck to move the scope back onto the base in its desired location for the night.  Im not sure how this would work on a wooden base, I guess you would need a sack truck that fits in between the feet of the base or you need someone to help tilt the scope while you slide the sack truck under the feet of the base.

I have to admit the process is a bit of a faff but its not too bad and I can manage it on my own, but I do plan to build a permanent base for it with wheels and screw down feet so I can just push my scope to wherever I want it in the garden, deploy the feet and enjoy viewing for the night.

• Like 1

I only have a solid tube 12” Stella Lyra dobsonian which is quite heavy with the base and I use a sack trolley to move it to and fro. The trolley has pneumatic tyres which helps a great deal in not disturbing the collimation. I also had to put longer feet on the base to provide the space required for the sack trolley to slide under it. When it’s on the trolley I secure it with top and bottom elastic cords.

• Like 1

Thanks John and Bosun for your feedback. Clearly  loading and unloading the truck is the critical part of the operation. Height adjustable feet would be handy. Maybe even a permanent platform for the DOB to sit on but that would have to be completely stable as I'd be using the DOB for planetary imaging. 

As you say Bosun inflatable tyres are a must for a smooth ride. 

• Like 1