Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help please, Who knows this SUPERSCOPES mount / scope and who will have information about it…

guillaumetmt

6 minutes ago, malc-c said:

Struth... this takes me back.   I bought my first scope, a Vixen 4" fluorite coated refractor from Phil  in the mid 80's.  One of my friends had a large reflector on a large EQ mount that Phil installed in his roll off observatory.  I believe my friend is still a member of the forum so may provide more details on the scope and its installation.  

Yes Bedfordshire was a hub of astronomical businesses at the time, and a lot of the scopes and mounts were very well engineered.  Nice to hear Phil is still around and involved in astronomy.  He always had time for people and you never got the feeling you were imposing on his time even though he was no doubt busy at the time.

He is one of the nicest people you could wish to meet, and very knowledegable .

• Like 1

I’m glad you are finding info on your mount, it seems to be a top notch piece of engineering and it is beautiful to look at, I was sure pointing you to SGL would produce interest and answers. SGL is a special place and my home base, we hope you stick around and share in the great threads here. With a little TLC and maybe even some restoration work, you could have a beautiful collectors piece!.

Edited by Sunshine

12 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I’m glad you are finding info on your mount, it seems to be a top notch piece of engineering and it is beautiful to look at, I was sure pointing you to SGL would produce interest and answers. SGL is a special place and my home base, we hope you stick around and share in the great threads here. With a little TLC and maybe even some restoration work, you could have a beautiful collectors piece!.

12 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Hi, You were right to offer me this, I already got more information this morning when 5 months of fruitless research on google!!! THANKS very much 

• Like 1

Il y a 2 minutes, guillaumetmt a dit :

Salut, vous aviez raison de m'offrir ceci, j'ai déjà reçu plus d'informations ce matin quand 5 mois de recherche infructueuse sur Google !!! MERCI beaucoup

It is certain that I will post the entire restoration with pictures

• Like 5

Superscopes certainly had access to some high quality castings to properly fulfill the intentions of the designer.
An example of a smaller but very similar mounting was once shown at Bath Astronomical Society. 1980s?

Decades ago I printed out a full scale version of this mounting for comparison with the Fullerscopes MkIII.
I believe the original drawing may have been from a magazine. Though I no longer have any recollection of the source.
Sadly I have no idea where the drawing is now. It used to decorate my workshop wall behind my lathe.
I'd love to see an illustration of the Superscopes 'Hercules.' It would also be fascinating to hear owner's opinions of this mount.

• Like 1

This is the only picture I have ever seen of a Superscopes mount until your post.  I found this picture on the web more than 20 years ago and there was no info to go with it so I don't know who took it or who the scope belonged to.  Maybe someone will remember seeing it.

I always thought it was beautiful and well engineered and that is why I still have the picture in my collection.

SUPERSCOPES mount-3.jpg

• Like 5

That mount looks like a fine piece of work. Nice castings, looks well machined. 

Is the polar axis predetermined with a few degrees adjustment either side? (Based on what appears to be the rocker pin at the base)

Il y a 45 minutes, 900SL a déclaré :

Cette monture ressemble à une belle œuvre. Belles pièces moulées, ont l'air bien usinées.

L'axe polaire est-il prédéterminé avec un réglage de quelques degrés de chaque côté ? (Basé sur ce qui semble être l'épingle à bascule à la base)

Hi, yes it is exactly that, it can be adjusted by the tilting system

360FF9DC-72B5-430C-ADAB-0A48ED1D9456.jpeg

0FE0FB12-2DDE-4981-9233-2062CB2330FB.jpeg

• Like 2