Surge prominence 09 Feb 2023 UPDATE: full disc 10 Feb 2023

BGazing

My new blocking filter finally came back from Lunt (cost me arm and a leg in shipping to and from the USA), so I braved the cold to test it today. Looks good on full disk so far, as I did not have to massively pull the black point in order to cull one side, but I reserve my judgment. It was fairly cold, sub zero, I heated BF with a dew strip but probably did not manage to pull another full disk shot after the surge prominence as the features went bland (I suspect, because of the BF cooldown). It was good while it lasted.
I first saw it visually, it was incredibly quick and by the time I put camera in it started to dissipate, all in all say 5-7 minutes before the quietness of that full disk and the other two shots.
My processing is incredibly rusty, had to re-watch Marty's tutorials and feel as if I have never processed a h-alpha photo. :D  So this was a very quick job...super busy at the moment.

2023-02-09-0904_6-U-L-Lunt_Exposure=2.5ms_Gain=0_Gamma=89(off)_2046_lapl4_ap1855 inv.png

2023-02-09-0909_5-U-L-Lunt_Exposure=2.7ms_Gain=0_Gamma=89(off)_2046_lapl4_ap737 inv.png

2023-02-09-0844_9-U-L-Lunt_Exposure=1.5ms_Gain=0_Gamma=79(off)_2046_lapl4_ap27054 imppg.png

Edited by BGazing
  • Like 7

Updated...finally properly heated my blocking filter and here are the results, even at low altitude (18 degrees in the afternoon). Nine active regions going on...

Could have probably dropped magnification down, but now it is too late.

2023-02-10-1402_4-U-L-Lunt_Exposure=2.4ms_Gain=0_Gamma=83(off)_2046_lapl5_ap36456 norm.png

• Like 2

• BGazing changed the title to Surge prominence 09 Feb 2023 UPDATE: full disc 10 Feb 2023