Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Deep and near sky

jetstream

I want to thank all those that welcomed me back, I have been busy with many things, including much new exploration of the area. A few buddies, some old friends and a couple of new ones have been going out on the quads, pulling boats into remote areas and now riding snowmobiles.

Fishing has been very good, but

I will never forget astronomy as its in my blood.

A quick break in the clouds and with the moon still down had me running out with the very capable H130/24mm ES 68- I just had to view the comet under good skies. And I wasnt disappointed! The green comet showed a bright core and widish elongated tail with a brighter streak present in the weaker side of the tail glow.

Very pleased to see it!!

I just couldnt pass up the Pleaides, which is on my all time favourite list. This object has so much to reveal it is staggering, and not just the Merope. @Nyctimene enlightened me to a features name that I see and use all the time- "Allys Braid"- a chain of stars that cuts a dark lane into the nebulous glow of the Pleaides reflection nebulae.

Follow the chain of stars and the Merope is right next to it on the outer side of the object complex. It appears as a large fan to my eyes.

Better yet is seeing all of the dark lanes cutting through the sparkling glow of the Pleaides- as well as its outer nebulous shell. This complex as a whole was dubbed the Pleaides Bubble by Mel Bartels years ago.

This object is one of the most dazzling, superb sights in the sky. The Heritage 130 is perfect for it and throw it under dark transparent skies and the object will burst into your eyes, and once youve seen it, you will be hooked, just like me.

Gerry

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Brilliant Gerry. The heritage 130 showing that you don’t a huge scope under really dark skies. The comet has kept me happily entertained recently. Had some friends over recently to see it and a few other crowd pleasers. 

Thanks Neil, I just love the H130- I didnt even collimate it- the sec always holds, for years now and the primary is always very close. Its kind of bizarre how well this scope works and my stand is an old metal barrel that has been up here since the 1960's lol. Its actually perfect.

Glad youre getting some observing and if the clear sky holds I'll be back out again tonight with the H130- my other scopes are in the sea can with the door buried in snow lol I might up the mag with a 16T5 tonight to see what happens, it should help the core but Im curious what will happen to the tail. Fingers crossed it doesnt cloud up. If good I'll do Barnards Loop and Meissa tonight too.

Cant wait to read your excellent reports Neil!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Thanks Neil, I just love the H130- I didnt even collimate it- the sec always holds, for years now and the primary is always very close. Its kind of bizarre how well this scope works and my stand is an old metal barrel that has been up here since the 1960's lol. Its actually perfect.

Glad youre getting some observing and if the clear sky holds I'll be back out again tonight with the H130- my other scopes are in the sea can with the door buried in snow lol I might up the mag with a 16T5 tonight to see what happens, it should help the core but Im curious what will happen to the tail. Fingers crossed it doesnt cloud up. If good I'll do Barnards Loop and Meissa tonight too.

Cant wait to read your excellent reports Neil!

Haha we had a little snow here. Whenever I observe in the snow I always think of you though the snow is on a much smaller scale lol 

I’ve really gotten the observing bug again. Some time away has actually refreshed my interest a bit. Will make sure and get back on the report writing too for your entertainment. Do let us know how the H130/16T5 go on the comet. I keep thinking about a SWAN filter. I’m sure I read somewhere that an OIII filter can show up the ION trail on a comet. Will have to give that a try next clear night. 

• Like 1

Welcome back Gerry. I need to get myself an H130 or 150. I gave my brother in law out here an H130 a couple of years ago: he has 5 very inquisitive young children and I thought it’d be the perfect thing to create at least a couple of astronomers.

He had to move out for some renovations on his house so gave the scope back to me for a few months. The first time I saw the Veil was through that H130! It’s a really good scope.

Re: collimation. I’ve found out that this particular H130 does actually need its primary recollimating _regularly_,  but for a particular reason: child says “what are these knobs for?” 🤣🤣. Every time I visit it’s been fiddled with 🙄.

Cheers, Magnus

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Re: collimation. I’ve found out that this particular H130 does actually need its primary recollimating _regularly_,  but for a particular reason: child says “what are these knobs for?” 🤣🤣. Every time I visit it’s been fiddled with 🙄

Lol, it great that the kid is curious about the scope! A future astronomer for sure!

1 hour ago, Captain Scarlet said:

The first time I saw the Veil was through that H130! It’s a really good scope.

Yes, these scope are very good and ours (grand daughters actually) is cooled now and waiting. Checked collimation and it was right on, unreal performance after so many uses.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kon said:

Welcome back Gerry. Great observing report.

15 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Nice report! sounds like there's no shortage of fun stuff to do around your parts, a big welcome back!.

Thanks guys!

Lots to do here for sure if you love the outdoors- some might get bored as life slows down out here in Northwest Ontario. Last night I heated the wood fired hot tub up before going out observing. There was a raw, humid wind ripping down the bay into our place so after another great H130 session we headed for a fantastic hot tub.

And I must say the views from it laying in there and pitch black out, was out of this world. I stared up in amazement at the constellations knowing exactly where the objects were I just observed.

The sky never ceases to amaze me.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Thanks guys!

Lots to do here for sure if you love the outdoors- some might get bored as life slows down out here in Northwest Ontario. Last night I heated the wood fired hot tub up before going out observing. There was a raw, humid wind ripping down the bay into our place so after another great H130 session we headed for a fantastic hot tub.

And I must say the views from it laying in there and pitch black out, was out of this world. I stared up in amazement at the constellations knowing exactly where the objects were I just observed.

Oh! on my phone I can’t see where others are located when using the SGL app, if I had noticed you were in Ontario’s beautiful north I would’ve have understood why you have so much fun stuff to do. 😂

Fellow Ontarian here, I have spent so many years camping all around the beautiful North, enjoy!. Wait a min, wood fired hot tub? how? I just happen to be a service tech for a large and well known pool company, I have seen countless tubs (though they aren’t my specialty) but a wood heated one I would love to see!.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

just happen to be a service tech for a large and well known pool company, I have seen countless tubs (though they aren’t my specialty) but a wood heated one I would love to see!.

Awesome!

Im about 30 km as the crow flies from Quetico and about 8km from Voyageurs National park. I build these tubs out of aluminum  - 6' in diameter and clad them in local cedar. Its a "lifetime" tub that uses no chemicals (we change the water every week) and is easy to clean. The 100,000+ btu woodstove sits in the water and can heat the tub in under 5 hours from filling with cold lake water in -25c. It is still warm the next day and takes maybe 2 hours to heat- you have to watch though as they can get too hot lol Last night was pretty warm... takes the chill right out the bones though.

Ill get a picture and put it on here if you like.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

Thanks guys!

I’m on my way 👍🏻😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My tub has been through hell and was enlisted to hold the neighbours dock down during the summers flood. You can flip it up and roll it like a wheel, up stairs, down stairs, through the trees etc. The wood is just cladding.

It is my new naked eye observatory :grin:

IMG_E0970 (2).JPG

IMG_0039 (2).JPG

• Like 5