Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mallet and Young craters

Kon

It has been a long time since I have done any lunar imaging. The moon is still quite bright but some features are starting to show. This is from 8/2/23 where Mallet and Young craters caught my interest while observing. I noticed that Mallet craters are not imaged very often. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, UV/IR cut filter, 2.5 TV powermate. Happy to receive feedback as it is a while since I have done moon processing. Too much or ok sharpening?

image.png.5c0a93e747f850cc87fec4c5d28730f7.png

• Like 6

Lovely stuff, there's a lot going on in that region and I'm not sure I've ever imaged it before.

I think I'd be tempted to bring down the highlights a little - maybe revisit the curves/levels - I always try to make sure no crater rims are blown out but that's just my preference, others don't mind it.  Lovely detail though sharpening looks to be spot on to me

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Lovely stuff, there's a lot going on in that region and I'm not sure I've ever imaged it before.

I think I'd be tempted to bring down the highlights a little - maybe revisit the curves/levels - I always try to make sure no crater rims are blown out but that's just my preference, others don't mind it.  Lovely detail though sharpening looks to be spot on to me

3 hours ago, IB20 said:

Looks great, processing is definitely subjective but I like it and it doesn’t come across as “too processed”.

Thank you both for the feedback.

Craig, I agree with you on the washed out craters. I will try have a play and see what I can do; I do not think the low illumination near the terminator is helping as I tried to brighten the image a bit too much in the end.

7 hours ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

Very nice image with tightly packed and clean detail.   A wonderful area!   I quite like it just as you have done it.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I really appreciate this coming from you with your experience.

• Like 1

On 08/02/2023 at 13:05, Kon said:

It has been a long time since I have done any lunar imaging. The moon is still quite bright but some features are starting to show. This is from 8/2/23 where Mallet and Young craters caught my interest while observing. I noticed that Mallet craters are not imaged very often. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, UV/IR cut filter, 2.5 TV powermate. Happy to receive feedback as it is a while since I have done moon processing. Too much or ok sharpening?

I liked it, I found it to be very natural processing, uniform overall tone as it should be. I don't like those forced processing mainly with excess contrast that the Moon takes on a silver appearance. The definition is fine for the aperture used.
In short: A beautiful photo!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, astroavani said:

I liked it, I found it to be very natural processing, uniform overall tone as it should be. I don't like those forced processing mainly with excess contrast that the Moon takes on a silver appearance. The definition is fine for the aperture used.
In short: A beautiful photo!

Thanks, I really appreciate your comment and feedback. I have a good baseline for the next capture.

3 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

Although I’m no expert on imagining I like it. I prefer the moon to look as close as possible to the way I see it visually at the eyepiece. Otherwise to me it starts to look a little false. 

Thanks Peter. Yes I was after the more natural appearance thus the request for some feedback. It's very easy to go on the wrong side of processing.

• Like 1