Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Worth binoviewing in visual H-alpha?

tico

Hello, On this occasion I would like to ask you if you have used a binoviewer with an H-alpha, Lunt or Coronado solar telescope. Is there much difference between the images with and without binoviewer? Is it worth the outlay? I just saw on Lunt's website that there is a binoviewer that works well with all of their telescopes, without adding extra magnification. I have seen it similar in Auriga, Omegon, APM... I suppose they are the same, they are called linear binoviewers. Thank you Paul

Hi Paul,

I’ve not used the Linear binoviewers, but do only ever use binoviewers when viewing in Ha. To me it adds substantially to the experience; more relaxed and much more engaging. It does require a Barlow with standard binoviewers for the views are at higher powers, but that gives excellent detail in the prominences.

I do the same for white light too 👍

EDC62728-B3A6-466B-8981-4EF8A1AA2E4A.jpeg

• Like 1

I also exclusively use binoviewers for Ha observing, however for small entry level Ha telescopes with double stacking, the light loss through a binoviewer might render the image rather dull unless a full head cover is used to keep stray light away from the eyepieces.    🙂

• Like 2

I've used the Stella Lyra linear Binoviewers with a Lunt 50. They are the only Binoviewers I can achieve focus with on the Lunt. I like using them as I find binoviewing much more relaxing than mono. However, I find the linear Binoviewers much inferior to the Williams Optics ones and the Baader Maxbrights. The view is just not as sharp. I have done these comparisons in conventional scopes on the moon, planets and solar white light.

I do not know whether this is to be expected due to their design, or if I have a poor example, or they just don't suit me!

I had the option to return them, but kept them as it's the only way I could figure to binoview with the Lunt and whereas the view is not as sharp as with mono, they are much more relaxing to use for a long session.

I put a review of them on SGL somewhere. I'll try and link to it if I can find it!

Malcolm 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/397847-first-impressions-stella-lyra-linear-binoviewer/#comment-4271231

Edited by MalcolmM
Adding link
  • Like 2

I use binoviewers with a Quark to observe in Ha, its a much better viewing experience with binoviewers but slightly more hassle to use the binoviewers, so if time is short I'll go cyclops.