Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skywatcher eq5 + motor kit - need some help

Hello to ALL !

i do visual for several year with my orion europa 200 and an skywatcher eq5.

Last week I bought a set of motors for my eq5 .

This kit : EQ5 Motor Upgrade Kit 

Installing the motors was relatively easy, basically it was just putting a sprocket on each axle and putting the motor in, connecting the cables to the control, turning on the power and that's it.

The stepper motors work but eq5 does not rotate the axes...

I'm completely lost, I can't figure out what the problem is on my own.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to resolve this I'd be grateful in advance.

the problem :

Hi, From your first video the mount is working correctly with the motor engaged as you can see the worm drive turning, Don't expect the mount to move fast as at 8x the mount moves at 2 degree per minute. there is no fast slewing with this upgrade, You have to loosen the silver knurled knobs and then use the black knobs to get your scope into the area you want to observe then tighten then re-tighten the silver knobs and then track with the handset.

• Like 2

I am thinking the same thing as fozzybear.

I have that mount but the goto kit so I was reluctant to post. Your first vid clearly shows the mount motors working so I don’t think you have an issue.

I am presuming with this motor kit you find the object with the clutches off. Lock clutches and center objects with the knobs then use the controller to follow the object.

One question? I don’t do anything internet based except this place. Is it normal that your videos are YouTube?

Most people on here from my experience put up a video without a third entity involved. Perhaps this is how it is done now🤷🏻

Marv

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I am thinking the same thing as fozzybear.

I have that mount but the goto kit so I was reluctant to post. Your first vid clearly shows the mount motors working so I don’t think you have an issue.

I am presuming with this motor kit you find the object with the clutches off. Lock clutches and center objects with the knobs then use the controller to follow the object.

One question? I don’t do anything internet based except this place. Is it normal that your videos are YouTube?

Most people on here from my experience put up a video without a third entity involved. Perhaps this is how it is done now🤷🏻

Marv

Yes Marv i had the same kit before i went  Astroeq with my EQ5 as this gave me full control ie fast slewing with nema motors. manually move the scope to region of interest then use the handset. voila. Yup as per the youtube vid's ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, fozzybear said:

Hi, From your first video the mount is working correctly with the motor engaged as you can see the worm drive turning, Don't expect the mount to move fast as at 8x the mount moves at 2 degree per minute. there is no fast slewing with this upgrade, You have to loosen the silver knurled knobs and then use the black knobs to get your scope into the area you want to observe then tighten then re-tighten the silver knobs and then track with the handset.

Thank you!

yes its so slow .... 

19 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Marv

for me more easy to record and upload to youtube from phone, i prefere read the stargazeslounge.com on computer, so i past only the link from youtube .

19 hours ago, fozzybear said:

Yes Marv i had the same kit before i went  Astroeq with my EQ5 as this gave me full control ie fast slewing with nema motors. manually move the scope to region of interest then use the handset. voila. Yup as per the youtube vid's ?

its a good choice, move to target manualy an use hanset to more fine tune. thank you fozzybear!

• Like 1