Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cables from PC to rig

Been watching Lazy Greks videos regarding Nina and noticed he has a mini pc set up and then controls that, if I'm understanding correctly, via laptop over wifi....all good.

But, if I wanted to control via laptop itself, bypassing said mini pc, (another cost I could do without),  from within the house, is that doable?

Realise the pc would need to be tethered to the mount, is that what the eqmod cable does and if so what lengths do they come in ? Is that the only cable from pc to equipment? 

I don't intend to go down the AISAIR route.

Many thanks 

Chubster 

EQ5 Pro Goto

William Optics 73

William Optics Guide scope

ASI120MINI Guide Cam

D7100 main camera 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, catburglar said:

You’ll need usb cables for your cameras as well as the mount - but if you can manage with 4 or fewer then something like @teoria_del_big_bang suggested could work. 

Yes that's right, the item I put the link to is a usb hub so all usb cables go to that hub, which sits on the mount , so only need short usb cables, and then the flat ethernet runs from the mount into the house near to the laptop or desktop and then a short usb cable to the laptop or desktop.

But If you need more than 4 usb cables then just use a separate hub but always run the main imaging camera direct to the ethernet hub.

Steve

• Like 1

For years (and it will sill be the case once my pier is in service) I simply had a 4 way usb hub like this one

612676119_71321dYyHL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.243842d0f9193b1a662dedd92df7a751.jpg

which sits inder the mount on the tripod, and where dslr, guide camera and mount handset are plugged. This hub is in turn plugged into a 5m USB extension cable which comes either into my laptop or into another 5m extension that goes to my main computer in my office. This 2x 5m basic cable does the trick. See video here

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chubster1302 said:

Thanks both, so to clarify (just to get it in my head.) 

USB hub tapped to the mount, this connects to mount itself, D7100 and guide scope. Then ethernet cable back from hub to PC.

This will then allow me to use the full potential of Nina as per his video

Yes that's correct but to clarify the ethernet does not go directly into the PC itself but into a second small bot that comes with the set and then a short USB cable from that box to the pc USB port.

Now to be honest I cannot vouch for the one on the link  as it was not the actual one I had. The one I have (although don't use anymore) as I could not find it but I have fount it now, it is THIS ONE.

Now why the one I bought is 3x the price of the one I put in the first link I do not know and that worries me but looks like both should work. The one I have is startech which do seem to be fairly reliable bits of kit maybe thats why it is more expensive.

Both are only USB2 but should work just fine and plenty fast enough transfer speed.

I guess if you get from Amazon can always return it if it doesn't work but I really cannot see why either should not work.

I did have loads of trouble getting reliable connections back to house in my early days and never had any real success using long USB cables, passive or active to be honest, long being much over 5M but having said that many do manage getting them to work, but until I used this USB over Ethernet had loads of lost nights, after this never put a foot wrong.

Steve

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FrenchyArnaud said:

For years (and it will sill be the case once my pier is in service) I simply had a 4 way usb hub like this one

612676119_71321dYyHL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.243842d0f9193b1a662dedd92df7a751.jpg

which sits inder the mount on the tripod, and where dslr, guide camera and mount handset are plugged. This hub is in turn plugged into a 5m USB extension cable which comes either into my laptop or into another 5m extension that goes to my main computer in my office. This 2x 5m basic cable does the trick. See video here

Thought usb's had limited run lengths ?

11 minutes ago, chubster1302 said:

Thought usb's had limited run lengths ?

That's what they say.  Hub+5m+5m never gave me an issue, even though it's only usb2 and even though it's supplying power to the guide camera and even though it's downloading the raw files of the camera directly to the PC. So... I stopped being worried about cable length years ago. In my mind, if the computer usb gives 5v (they don't all do) it will work. I actually tried to test transmission speeds with 4x 5m (so 20m total) some time ago and could not see any signal loss, deconnexion issue etc. I assume it is true to an extent as it is part of the usb specs but... the simple fact is: as the video shows, it works. Even with multiple connexion points in line. Facts are terribly stubborn. 

• Like 1

Hi as others have mentioned USB over Ethernet could solve your requirement. I use these to control my mount, main camera, guide camera and Pegasus Pocket Power Box Micro unit at the bottom of the garden.

https://www.startech.com/en-gb/cards-adapters/usb2004extv

More details on my GEM28 thread-

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by SteveNickolls
  • Like 1