Narrowband

3" rings, where can I get some "Help"

Trevor PC

Hello All 

I want to to place a vintage Swift 831 on a go to mount an am finding it very difficult to find a set, so if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

The reason for doing this so that I can try a Altair gcam2 on it, and I can here you saying why,  well I want to see what I can achieve with some very good 1968 glass🤔

As always any help would be much appreciated.

Regards 

Trevor 

Strange coincidence! I recently bought an old Swift - ringless.

Last time I wanted awkward rings a few years ago, I got them from Geremany. But that is not so easy now.

When I looked to buy rings from FLO, delivery was a few days, but before I hit the buy button, it moved out. Now 3-4 months.

My solution is to 3D print packing pieces/adapters to fit inside bigger guide scope rings that I have. A work still in progress

I can post photos later today.

Happy to help with printing if you have some larger rings available.

David.

Hello David 

As always many thanks for responding.

What size rings are you making the inserts for, 90mm seams the next size up in the sky Watcher availability at FLO.

I did ask them about 3" and they stated the best they could suggest was 80mm.

If you let me know what size you plan to print I would be more than happy to cross your hand with silver for some.

I thought I had a found a site in Canada, who had them for a TV 3" but they never came back to me.

Telescope Services Germany had them for a 3" Orion refractor in the past but sadly no more😭

As I don't have any rings in the 80mm to 90mm range I will need to get some, so let me know what type to go for.

As always any help is much appreciated.

Regards

Trevor

Hiya Trevor,

there used to be a site that sold many small parts / odds and ends for various scopes maybe worth having a look.

They were called AstroBoot, I don't know if they are still going but worth a look.

HTHs

Tim

Edited by Cozzy
typo

Hello Tim 

As always many thanks for responding.

Thanks for the suggestion looks like that avenue is closed.

There used to be things like second hand fairs, that have not reappeared post the worst of COVID.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Regards 

Trevor 

Hi Treveor. An 831.

The somewhat chunky 3D printed solution utilised a set of big guide scope rings that were idle.

The alternative is from the plumbing shop. Munsen rings. Steel pipe clamps with loads of rubber padding included.
A fraction of the cost of conventional scope rings.
I think I bought mine (76-80mm fit) from here....

https://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/pipe-fittings-c433/copper-chrome-brass-saddles-brackets-c239

David.

IMG_8072.JPG

IMG_8073.JPG

I used a different sort of  Munsen ring to be able to mount my little TAL Alkor on a vixen mount. Worked very well, I lined them with some corrugated card to fill the gap, updated to foam/felt after the black paint upgrade 👍

• 2 weeks later...