Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

n00b learning as much as i can!

RichardS-VA

Hello, I am a n00b, trying to learn as much as I can about this hobby.  Have a Celestron Nextar 5se and in the suburbs north of Richmond, Virginia.  Have tried looking at things with the stock 25mm eyepiece at the end of the driveway and quickly realized that I'll have to upgrade that eyepiece and scoot out to the boonies for less light pollution.  Excited to learn more about what is possible with this telescope!

• Like 1

Welcome to the lounge. I have your scopes bigger brother the 8SE. I have been enjoying the short time I’ve owned it and it’s quite versatile but they do have their limitations. The long focal length limits the list of targets that you can fit in your eyepieces FOV(the area of sky visible through your eyepiece). They perform great on the planets and planetary nebulae, along with some of the small brighter DSO’s(deep sky objects). It will certainly keep you busy with a multitude of targets. Good luck with your new hobby.

Edited by bosun21
Spelling error
  • Like 3

Seems that for a starter trying to view things, the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Mark IV Zoom Eyepiece with Hyperion Zoom Barlow Lens is the "bees knees" to learn with various viewings.  Looks like I also missed out on the November-December sales, too.  The focal ratio is f/10, so learning about those limitations, but for starting out in the hobby this seems to be good, especially with the motorized mount.

• Like 1

Hiya,

have you tried the computer application Stellarium? It lets you add your scope and eyepieces to its ‘ocular’ plugin, and gives a decent rendering of what you can expect to see re any given object … available on mac, windows and Linux, and it’s free!

stellarium.org

Kev

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kev100 said:

Hiya,

have you tried the computer application Stellarium? It lets you add your scope and eyepieces to its ‘ocular’ plugin, and gives a decent rendering of what you can expect to see re any given object … available on mac, windows and Linux, and it’s free!

stellarium.org

Kev

Tried the cell phone app to see what was around and visible. Will check out the computer version!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was able to view 4 bright dots around Jupiter last month, Stellarium mobile phone app informed me they were moons!  The Baader neodymium filter worked well for the moon and am able to take photos of it with the Canon T3i dslr camera.  Need to figure out long exposure photography stuff, but having fun with it.

small--IMG_0037.JPG

small--IMG_0051.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...