Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ghost of Cassiopeia

m.tweedy

Ghost of Cassiopeia 15 X RGB 90 seconds for stars, 20 x L 120 seconds, 9 x Ha 10 minutes, 8 x S11 x 10 minutes. No O111 as no detail. Sky background may be a little dark though. One with stars and one starless. Atik 460 Mono. Astrodon Gen 2 LRGB and Astrodon 3 Nm Ha and S11. MN190 on CEM120. Bortle 8 skies.

tif16ghost_has2s2_rgb_stars.png

tif16has2s2_Starless.png

Edited by m.tweedy
amended text
  • Like 18

• 4 weeks later...

Very very nice work. If i can offer one criticism and bear in mind im a newbie at AP, (but have 30 years of experience with Photoshop and image processing), i personally feel that the noise reduction is a bit overdone. It's giving the image those weird "wavy" artefacts on closer inspection. It's easy to do this, I still do it myself, but I think a bit of noise is preferable to too much noise reduction 

I cringe when i look back on my first processed images from a few years ago...usually, because i went too far with the noise and sharpening options. 

Still, kudos to you for a great image!

👍

Thank you MKHACHFE. I take on board what you say as a positive and hopefully manage to balance things out a bit more in future photographs. It does need more intergration time (hopefully next year).

I like these images and think your judgement on noise reduction was good. It has to be a compromise between fine detail and smoothness but I think I'd have called the balance pretty much where you did.

Olly

• Like 1

On 05/03/2023 at 23:13, ollypenrice said:

I like these images and think your judgement on noise reduction was good. It has to be a compromise between fine detail and smoothness but I think I'd have called the balance pretty much where you did.

Olly

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words. To me its all a balance between clouds and rain and finally being happy with what you have achieved and moving on.

• Like 1

This is spectacular! To my eye it doesn't have the "smeariness" I associate with excessive noise reduction.  I have a bit of an aversion to starless images but not this one.  In fact I don't think the re-adding of the stars has worked all that well here.  Wonderful image.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/03/2023 at 16:13, MartinB said:

This is spectacular! To my eye it doesn't have the "smeariness" I associate with excessive noise reduction.  I have a bit of an aversion to starless images but not this one.  In fact I don't think the re-adding of the stars has worked all that well here.  Wonderful image.

Thank you. I am not normally a fan of Starless images but in this one the stars are not quite right seem to detract from it.