Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginner need help! Are there any goto's for manual equatorial mount?

Just got my first telescope the Orion Starblast II 4.5 reflector. It's on a manual equatorial tripod mount. Is there anyway I can add a motorized drive to keep objects from drifting out of view and a goto that automatically finds objects for you on the mount I have without having to buy a computerized mount that does both? 

Give Orion a call and see what they suggest.  My guess is you are probably looking at just getting a whole new go to mount and tripod which is going to cost more then what you have in the scope.  

Edited by Mike Q

7 hours ago, 12jewlz4u said:

Just got my first telescope the Orion Starblast II 4.5 reflector. It's on a manual equatorial tripod mount. Is there anyway I can add a motorized drive to keep objects from drifting out of view and a goto that automatically finds objects for you on the mount I have without having to buy a computerized mount that does both? 

This motor drive is shipped as part of a package with the Starblast on the Orion website. It would let you keep an object in the eyepiece once you have found it  Before buying, you might want to confirm you have the standard mount package to ensure it fits. If you want a go-to it looks like you would have to buy a new mount.

https://www.telescope.com/mobileProduct/Orion-TD-1-Electronic-DC-Tracking-Drive-for-StarBlast-45-EQ/137398.uts?keyword=Td-1

• Like 1

Unfortunately, there is not a way to add a motorized drive or goto feature to the Orion Starblast II 4.5 reflector telescope and its manual equatorial tripod mount. You would need to purchase a computerized mount that has both features in order to achieve automatic tracking and object finding.

On 06/02/2023 at 00:09, 12jewlz4u said:

without having to buy a computerized mount that does both? 

If you wish to get a Go-To and budget is the issue for purchasing a new mount then consider the 2nd hand market.

Edited by AstroMuni